Monday, May 13, 2013

Wonder by R.J. Palacio


Our family just finished reading this book and I urge you to get it and read it. I cannot overstate that nor can I oversell this book.

I found out about Wonder through my Amazon emails that list the best books for kids, middle schoolers, etc. I loved the cover (interesting side note: this is the author's first novel - she is a graphic designer who designs book covers for her day job, though she did not design the cover for her own book) and was intrigued by the story.

Also? Have you seen the number of 5-star reviews on Amazon?? Over 1,000!! People love this book. We love this book. I love this book! Get it, get it, get it. We checked it out from the library and now we are ordering our own copy to own. It's that good.

Yes, it's a book geared toward middle graders, but it doesn't matter - adults will love it, too. It will move you. It will affect you. It will inspire you. Get it.

I laughed out loud several times, smiled often, and cried like a baby over and over and over again. This book has heart, pluck, and spunk. The characters are fantastic. The author's writing is compelling.

She tells the story from multiple perspectives (a literary device that I love), but most especially from Auggie Pullman's perspective. Who is Auggie? He is a wonder. Read to find out. Seriously, do it.

From Amazon's Book Description:

I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance. 

I mean it. Get this book. 

And check out what our kids think of this book by clicking here and going to their shared book review blog. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you, too. I haven't read what they wrote yet, but I can guarantee that they think you should get this book, too.

6 comments:

Dr. Mark said...

I didn't write a review post, but I think everyone should buy it, too. Four for four in our family. I loved reading this as a family. The only bummer is that work kept interrupting us so we couldn't read more in one stretch, although with all the tears flowing it may have been difficult to do much more.

Awesome book!

Emily said...

Awesome! It's my turn to pick the book club book.

Robynne said...

I have this on my "to read" list, thanks for the great review! I'll have to read it sooner rather than later!

Anonymous said...

I got it yesterday and I'm looking forward to reading it!

Dave Johnson said...

Sounds like one for our bedtime reading. We'll check it out when we get settled.

Boquinha said...

Yay! Hope you all like it. I really think you will . . .