Saturday, June 14, 2008

PBS and a 5 year old

Background/Disclaimer: Thankfully our children are not very picky eaters AT ALL. Pickiness drives me berserk. They eat sushi raw and cooked. They eat all vegetables and healthy snacks. They eat well and pretty much anything we eat. M resists seafood a bit (though he has discovered he likes shrimp, scallops, clam chowder, salmon, crab, etc.) which is a source of consternation for me since I'm both Portuguese and from New England and my husband is from the Bay Area in California. He has to like seafood. It's in the genes!!


At dinner this evening:


Mommy: Please try the catfish.

Little Dude: But I don't like it.

Mommy: You don't know if you don't like something if you haven't tried it.

Little Dude: I know I don't like it.

Mommy: You can't possibly know if you haven't tried. (Why? Why do we reason?)

Little Dude (shrugging): But I already know!

Big Sister (who loves all things seafood): M, you like salmon, so you'll probably like catfish, so try it!

Little Dude: (Sigh). I already know I won't like it. I mean, it's so predictable.

Mommy (looking up): Word Girl?

Little Dude and Big Sister: Yeah.

Nice.

7 comments:

J Fo said...

Why oh why do I not already know about Word Girl? Awesome!

Emily said...

Isaac LOVES word girl! Funny! You wouldn't last a day in our house...Isaac is the kind of picky eaters.

Emily said...

i mean "king"...

Jillo said...

Hello! I am so glad you found us. THis blogging thing is a bit like geneology. It is so exciting when you find someone! Now we can snoop and see what you guys are up too. Good to hear from you.

nicole said...

Thats funny. Michael is a picky eater. He loves most fish but hates sushi-sad right? I've never seen that word girl there is one on some other channel I can't remember which one right now

bythelbs said...

At least he's building an impressive vocabulary!

I'm frustrated when my kids won't try things. They are allowed to not like things, because hey, we all have our likes and dislikes. But to not even try it? One of these days they'll realize all the stuff they're missing out on!

Boquinha said...

Exactly. I try to use the "Imagine if you'd refused to try pizza" line to illustrate the point. It doesn't always work. Thankfully, he's coming around with seafood. :P Though he's not as much a fan of anchovies on pizza (we love anchovies!) . . .

And word girl is awesome! Check out YouTube for some samples.