Monday, June 23, 2008

Obama Can


Random neat things I've been reading . . .

"Sen. Barack Obama is leading Sen. John McCain in the crucial swing states of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida, according to a new survey. Obama lost the primary in Pennsylvania, but a Quinnipiac University poll shows him leading McCain by 12 points there."
Source: www.cnn.com


*******************

In May, the Tennessee Republican Party used video of Michelle Obama's comments in a TV ad that aired during one of her husband's campaign stops in the state.

The ad features Tennesseans saying why they are proud of America while repeatedly cutting to Michelle Obama's comments.

The Obama campaign called the ad "shameful," and it was condemned by the state's two Republican U.S. senators.

After his wife's comments were criticized, Barack Obama said Michelle did not mean what she said.

"Statements like this are made and people try to take it out of context and make a great big deal out of it, and that isn't at all what she meant," he told San Antonio radio station WOAI in February.

"What she meant was, this is the first time that she's been proud of the politics of America," he said. "Because she's pretty cynical about the political process, and with good reason, and she's not alone. But she has seen large numbers of people get involved in the process, and she's encouraged."

Source:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/12/michelle.obama/index.html

**************

This is totally worth a read- Don't Mess with Michelle!
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/12/85742/7896

That article also references this super cool list of "10 Things You Didn't Know About Michelle Obama":
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/national/2007/12/10/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-michelle-obama.html


**************

You know? I'm absolutely thrilled at the idea of a strong, beautiful, articulate, intelligent, educated woman as First Lady. I've had enough blank stares and plastic expressions.

So much so that I've written my own I-Report:
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-37405

5 comments:

Emily said...

I don't know what she said? Guess I'm out of the loop.

Boquinha said...

She said, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country." And, of course, it was taken wildly out of context. She was talking about how hopeful she is. Politics can be so messy . . .

HWHL said...

Politics is VERY messy.... and it's such a shame. I am very excited about Obama, and am excited about our country getting back on the track (notice I don't say on the RIGHT track.... I happen to think we've derailed completely!)

And yes, won't it be wonderful to have a strong, intelligent woman as the First Lady! WOW.
Big Things are in store for us. I am Very Hopeful.

terahreu said...

I am a Obama fan. I feel completely out of the loop but he lived in Indonesia and I speak the language, is that enough of a connection? Kidding.

I don't even pretend to know what is going on with the American Political scene because our news is so 'filtered'. But, this will be the first time that I will vote, as an American (ironically, I got my citizenship the day before I left the states) and I vote Obama.

Boquinha said...

Hey! Congrats on the citizenship! So you're dual now, right? Very cool.

I'm amazed (though not really) at how many of our friends are voting Obama. Actually, I guess it's not that surprising. I mean, he's totally inspiring and all of that but even if he weren't, YIKES, consider the alternative. Eek.