Friday, August 9, 2013

Decisions, decisions

My Blogger homepage informs me that I have written 900 posts. 900!

So the question now is, do I

A. challenge myself to a 100-posts-in-100-days marathon

or

B. close the blog?

A sounds fun, but B is tempting. There are so many things I want to blog about and write about, but it's so challenging to find the time. I know everyone else is busy, too - readership has dropped off.

Plus, we started this blog years 7 ago to keep in touch with far-away grandparents, but even they rarely if ever stop in (I think Facebook has swayed most everyone away since it's quicker and easier).

And since I sort of loathe Facebook, I'm left with blogging (which sometimes feels like spitting in the wind) or trying something entirely new, like not blogging and working on writing projects instead.

I've even thought of starting a brand new blog under a pseudonym and enjoying a new project where no one really knows who I am, just enjoys what I write for what it is.

So, I'm mulling things over. I am SUCKING at keeping up on things. As the kids get older, I'm busier than I've ever been, including during graduate school.

Take today - it's the first day in WEEKS that we haven't had something going on (technically, we did have plans, but we had so much to do, we couldn't get to it). So we're desperately trying to catch up on stuff, work on a lot of things for our business, do some yard work, housework, return some emails, update some technology . . . you get the idea.

And that's when the mailman rings the bell and has me sign for a certified letter from the IRS that said they were about to seize our property and fine us almost $15,000. Mark and I about fell to the floor - we were lightheaded and shaking all over. NOT a fun thing to get in the mail. We pay our taxes and we know we're on top of our quarterlies, but that is a terrifying thing to get in the mail just the same.

We've spent the afternoon making phone calls to find out that it's a "clerical error." Some other guy with the same name as Mark has gotten 2 notices already and hasn't paid his taxes, so they sent this notice to us - computer error, wrong Mark, wrong address.

See? It's this kind of non-stop stuff, along with all the other day-to-day stuff, that makes keeping up on things VERY challenging. My family is my top priority. I can be doing things with them or get on here and blog about them. Ideally, I'd like to do both, but given a choice, I'd rather be with my husband and kids.

So, what do I do? Try to do both? Blog more? Stop blogging? Move to a country that has no mean, nasty, stupid IRS? You know, they have a lot of nerve sending out scary letters to the wrong people after how they were exposed earlier this year. We have our own small business and work our tail ends off to be responsible, tax-paying citizens. Finding out it's a clerical error is a relief, but I could've done without the horrible, initial shock.

Anyway. Decisions, decisions.

19 comments:

LMW said...

Well, I hope you'll keep the blog going, even if it's sporatic, because blogs are so much better than vague Facebook posts.:) I enjoy reading about your family and your thoughts on things, but I certainly understand not feeling like there's enough time for blogging. I'd suggest that you all just blog when you can and feel the urge without allowing yourself to feel pressure about it. Perhaps you already do this, but posting a link to your blog posts on FB whenever there's a new one might remind your friends and family that you have a blog without having to rely on them to simply remember that you have a blog in the first place.:)

And, terrible about the IRS mistake!! That's one of those nightmare moments. I'm glad it was pretty quikly determined to be a mistake though.

Boquinha said...

LMW, thank you! I totally agree that I'd rather read a blog post than a vague FB post. I did start a FB account in 2009, had it open for a month or two, closed it to work on my first NaNoWriMo Novel (telling everyone I would turn it back on that December 1st) and I haven't turned it on since, because I haven't missed it! I like your ideas and appreciate your thoughts - thank you! You are very kind.

Anonymous said...

I hope you keep blogging. I think the Internet is put to good use when you post and I'd really miss you guys.

Boquinha said...

Awwww, thanks, Jimmy. That means a lot. We are very grateful to you for your constant support and friendship - we think you are pretty great.

The Magic Violinist said...

You should keep blogging, whether you close this one and make one under a fake name or keep this one (they both sound like great options). I love to read this blog and it's something that you really enjoy doing. :) You don't take enough time off for yourself.

Boquinha said...

Thanks, MV. And you're right. Maybe the 100-posts-in-100-days would be a good thing to do to make me take more time for myself . . .

Dr. Mark said...

Can I post some of the 100 or is that just for you? I'd be sure to leave the 1000th for you, of course! I'm glad we have a few people who want to see this continue. It's really a nice history of our family, whether it be milestones, events, thoughts, hopes, whatever.

Another thought about FB that you always mention is that a lot of people end up commenting on the FB post instead of the blog, and those comments end up being so temporary. I like the permanence of the blog and its comments.

Boquinha said...

Yes! I would LOVE it if you posted some of them, too. That'd be a fun project to do together!

Thanks for the reminder about FB - so true . . .

jim said...

I think that I have read ever blog. Your mother and I discuss each one it helps to keep us in the loop,

KEEP BLOOGING !!!! (please)

Boquinha said...

Jim! I'm glad to know you're still reading! Thanks for letting me know. Have you seen TMV's Taylor Swift post? ;)

Emily said...

I think more people stop in than you realize. Comments drop off because everybody is busy, but we're all still here and reading and enjoying what you have to say.

Boquinha said...

Thanks, Emily. I appreciate that.

Anonymous said...

Definitely keep blogging! I echo Emily's comment: people read but maybe don't always comment. It's the reading that matters most! I'd say, don't pressure yourself. Blog when you have the time. No one will judge you for that!

Jagged Rocks said...

I read your blog! I would be sad if you quit doing it. I rarely comment anymore, because I don't always know what to say.

Boquinha said...

Thanks, 72fishes. And by the way, I'm so glad you've started blogging!

Thanks, Kim. Well, if you ever want to comment, you know I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Dave Johnson said...

Ok, I posted this before, but somehow it didn't stick.

I basically said, I don't think many people read my blog at all, but I feel like there are things I am compelled to say, or want to show the world at large, so "putting it out there" is more therapeutic than anything for me. I think blogging has become very commercial and financially advantageous for some people (the bloggess, etc.) that those of us with small readerships can feel insignificant in their shadows. But we didn't start doing it for money or a huge audience, so keep going.

That said, I think you're feeling stuck in a blogging rut, and I'm searching around for substantial content for my new one. Maybe we should just start a food blog together. It would be a nice change. :)

Boquinha said...

Um, okay!! :)

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.