Friday, May 11, 2018

The Anything But Books Tag

Kate wrote a blog post a while ago with this title, and at the end, like she is wont to do, she challenged people to come up with their own lists. Since it's been a while since I've posted anything (Wow, life is busy!) I decided to do it on our blog instead of just in her blog comments. I actually wrote this post right after Kate did hers, but only now got around to posting it.

Here goes!

What is a cartoon you love?

I watched a lot of cartoons as a kid--anything LooneyToons, The Woody Woodpecker Show, Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, etc., etc.--but my favorite has always been Scooby-Doo, even the Scrappy Doo years. What wasn't to love? Crazy characters. Johnathan Winters. The Globe trotters. Meddling Kids. Epic chase scenes. Watching the "Supernatural" episode recently with Kate and Stacy was super fun.

What is your favorite song right now?

Ugh, favorites. The most recent song I pulled up to listen to is "Hamilton Polka" by Weird Al.



What is something you love to do that your followers would be surprised by?

First of all, I'd be surprised to find out I had any followers, but supposing I actually had followers, they might be surprised that I get nauseous when I think about broken bones or orthopedic injuries. I always love to do sports medicine, and orthopedics is super interesting to me, but when I think about a blown knee or bad fracture, I get queasy.

What is your unnecessarily specific thing to learn about?

I can go down pretty serious rabbit holes when I learn about a musical artist for the first time. I end up chasing down their complete catalog, listening to iconic songs, looking for other musical influences, and sometimes listening to those related artists. It's taking me a while, but I've been trying to listen to the entire Nina Simone catalog. Sometime last year I heard an NPR story about her (I think it related to a movie about her) and I become semi-obsessed. I've taken a break lately, but maybe I should get back to it . . .

What is something unusual you know how to do?

Recall seemingly useless trivia at odd times. I don't try to do it. It just happens. If only I could remember more essential things more consistently . . .

Name something you’ve made in the last year.

A creative Christmas gift for Stacy.

What is your most recent personal project?

I got the grill to work again today. It ended up being a far less involved project than I had anticipated.

Tell us something you think about often.

My wife, kids, and dog. I don't mention it as often as I think about them, but it's a lot.

Give us something that’s your favorite, but make it oddly specific.

My favorite Gatorade/Powerade "flavor" is blue. I drank it a fair amount last summer when I was trying to hydrate while fighting C. diff. Otherwise, it's been a LONG time since I drank it.

5 comments:

Boquinha said...

Look at you, posting on the blog. I like when you do these. I learn things about you! Like I'm pretty sure I knew most of this, but some of it felt new (of course that could be because my memory is not the best).

And I think about you a lot, too. <3

Dr. Mark said...

The surprises are few and far between these days, and only becoming fewer. And whether I told you before or not, I'm glad some of it actually felt new. :)

Jimmy said...

Huh. Given your career field, that is surprising that you have difficulty with broken bones.

I think you'll enjoy this podcast if you haven't already heard it: http://www.wbur.org/geoffedgers/2018/02/22/weird-al-is-a-walking-party

I love discovering new (to me) artists, too. YouTube makes it easy to learn about their music and hear authors talk about their books.

Something oddly specific about me--I have this weird thing where I like grated cheese better than just cheese. To me all cheese tastes better when it's grated into thin whisps. Consequently I've become a big fan of Del Taco.






The Magic Violinist said...

I didn't know "Scooby-Doo" was one of your favorite cartoons, so that must have made the "Supernatural" episode extra fun! I remember watching a fair number of episodes with Max when you'd have book club.

You getting nauseous around broken bones is a surprise to me. Good thing Max and I have never had that (not to jinx anything . . .).

Random trivia might not be that helpful in everyday life, but it does come in handy for things like Trivial Pursuit.

Dr. Mark said...

@Jimmy I'm actually fine in the medical setting. It's more when I see something during a sporting event, or a description in casual conversation that I get a little queasy.

That's a great podcast. Weird Al is really an underrated talent and super nice guy.

YouTube, as well as being a black hole of time suckage, is also really great for music exploration without having to pay a bunch of money to do it!

And I'm with you about the cheese thing. Little shreds are the best.


@TMV Yeah, I pretty much loved Scooby-Doo as a kid, so you're right, the episode was great.

If I can ever get on Jeopardy, there may be a tangible benefit to that trivia talent!