Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Valentine's Day Meme

I saw this over on bythelbs' blog and thought it would be fun, so here goes . . .

How long have you been together?

Over 16 years.


How long did you know each other before you started dating?
About a month.





Who asked who out?
I asked him to preference. But he asked me out after I asked him and before we went to preference. Our party line is that we met through mutual friends, but we really had several possible ways to meet (same major, same dorms, same ward, same Political Science class, same group of friends, etc.).




How old are each of you?
We both turn 35 this year.




Whose siblings do you see the most?
Since moving east, we've seen my brother a few times when he's come here. We're visiting Mark's brother Scott next week and hoping to get to a family reunion on Mark's side of the family this June as well.




Do you have any children together?
Yes, we have 2 great kids.




What about pets?
No (though the 2 kids beg often).




Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?
Hmmmm, dealing with a miscarriage (1st pregnancy) and enduring the stress of residency and my struggle with depression. But the residency/depression thing has very much helped us figure out the right path for our family, too.




Did you go to the same school?
High school, no. College, yes (we met there). Graduate Schools, no (same town, though).




Are you from the same home town?
Nope. I’m from MA. He’s from CA.




Who is the smartest?
We're both smart. Total nerds. He has more of a natural ability with sciences and music. I am more the literature person. We are both writers, thinkers, and readers. Nerdy nerdy nerdy.




Who is the most sensitive?
I think he is. We both are, I guess. In various ways. But my first reaction to this question is to say he is.




Where do you eat out most as a couple?
Um, we don't each out much as a couple (but when we do it's usually for our anniversary at this great, local Italian place or it's out for sushi). As a family, we love to eat out, particularly Japanese. We also occasionally enjoy Chinese take out once the kids are in bed. Eating out is one of our favorite things to do, but all said, the economy has us not eating out so much (not that we would do it all the time, but you know what I mean).




Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?
East Coast from the West (residency interviews, etc.).




Who has the craziest exes?
Definitely me.




Who has the worst temper?
Neither?




Who hogs the bed?
Neither. I think we have a good groove with this.




Who is more stubborn?
I don't think either of us is particularly stubborn, but if I have to choose, probably me.




Who is more jealous?
Neither one of us.




Who does the cooking?
It's a mix. Both of us do this.




Who is more social?
For sure I am, but he's on Facebook and I haven't yet signed up.




Who is the neat Freak?
We both are, but about different things. When the house is messy, I don't care. But when it's all neat and clean, I'm NUTS about keeping it that way. I have more paper clutter. We clean our house once a week and generally keep thing neat and that's good enough for us.




Who wakes up earlier?
Mark when he has early morning appointments or is on call. Though most of the time we both go to bed and get up at the same time.




Where was your first date?
Dinner at our friend's parents' house with about 8 couples. And then the Preference Dance at the Tanner Building (business building on campus).




Who has the bigger family?
Mark's side of the family is bigger. Mark is the oldest of 6. I am the youngest of 2.




Do you get flowers often?
I wouldn't say "often." Mark cleans bathrooms. To me, that's better than flowers.




How do you spend the holidays?
We spend the holidays here as a family and really love it.




How long did it take to get serious?
Not long. I know a good thing when I see one. We were exclusively dating within a couple of weeks. We told each other we loved each other 16 years ago today after a date (not because it was Valentine's Day). We got married about 4 years later (we were apart for 3 1/2 years of that).




Who does the laundry?
Mostly Mark, though we both do it. He's better about getting it going. I'm pretty good about folding.




Who drives when you are together?
On long drives, almost always him. Locally, it's a mix.




Is your family still growing?
In numbers? We're not sure. We've been on the fence about this for years. I think we're done, but we're not entirely sure.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Cleaning the bathroom IS better than flowers! I adore the both of you and what you have! Happy Valentine's Day!

HWHL said...

This was FASCINATING to read! And you must get on FaceBook - we could be friends. :-) (And it really is a lot of fun... I've found so many old and "long lost" friends.... it's been great.)

I enjoyed reading this so much!!
PS: I've long struggled with depression... if you ever want to email (or chat) offline, let me know. It's interesting that those of us who are cheerful 95% of the time can get his so HARD by that nasty monster.....

Emily said...

that's cute! loved the bathroom comment.

bythelbs said...

Bathrooms? Are you kidding me? I'm going to have to amend my jealous answer. Me. I'm the jealous one. Jealous of the woman with a husband who cleans bathrooms!

And I'm less than a year older than you, woman. Here you've had me convinced I'm ancient!

Very fun to read! Except now part of me hates you for the whole bathroom-cleaning husband thing.

Zelia said...

I am laughing out loud alone here in my house. Loved all the comments about the bathroom especially bythelbs jelousy. I had tear from laughing so hard. I needed that.lol

Swawa said...

Wow! That's so cool! As well as it is quite hilarious. Happy Valentine's Day to you guys.

Dr. Mark said...

Thanks for posting this! I had a lot of fun reading it. I wonder if this "bathrooms instead of flowers" thing is such a great idea? ;)

I love you!

Boquinha said...

ROTFL! Men should take note really. He cleans bathrooms. I don't nag and complain. Everyone wins! ;)

How could I possibly complain about anything when he cleans bathrooms?!?! That trumps all.

Plus, there's nothing sexier than a guy doing housework, so again, men should take note. Enough said.