Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Reason #427 We Love Homeschooling

Here are some of the things our kids get to do this week:

Lacrosse
Craft time with friends
Video games with friends
Dinner with friends
Amazing Race with friends
Play games as a family
Read as a family
Watch TV as a family
D&D with friends
Yoga class
Dinner co-op (twice)
Volunteer at the library
Nature Club with a huge group of kids
Play at the park on a Tuesday afternoon
Tennis
Write, Read, Play with Scout, Play Games, Play outside, etc.
"An Afternoon with Shakespeare" with friends
Volunteer with the Special Olympics
Violin lesson
Tae Kwon Do Class (3 times)
Run, Jump, Play Class with friends
Yu-Gi-Oh! Club
Have friends over
Play at the park all day
Attend Magic: The Gathering Night
Volunteer at the community Fall Festival
Teen Book Club
Gilmore Girls/Star Wars Date Night
Spend the day at the Renaissance Faire


Yes, our days are full. Yet with all this, we sit down to 3 meals a day together, most of our evenings are free and relaxed, and they get to sleep in. Awesome.

9 comments:

Dr. Mark said...

Our poor homeschooled kids. ;)

I especially love how you included our three meals a day. Looking around at other families I realize we're really lucky to have that. I'm glad we make that a priority.

Thanks for all of the things on this list that you organize, coordinate, or otherwise plan. The kids are very fortunate to have a mother who really cares about them like you do.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see an entire post on Lacrosse. I don't know the rules or objective of the game, but it looks fun.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Crazy! I don't know how you do it, it sounds exhausting to me. :)

LMW said...

Dang! I wish my home schooled days were nearly that fun. I can assure you they weren't though.

jim said...

The only thing that is missing is school. But your kids are soooooo bright that there can be no doubt that they get a lot of education also.

jim said...

The only thing that is missing is school. But your kids are soooooo bright that there can be no doubt that they get a lot of education also.

Anonymous said...

Nice post! Glad my family was a part of some of those! You guys are amazing. If I can do half as good a job homeschooling as you do, I'll consider it a job well done.

Boquinha said...

Aww, thanks for all the kind words!

Jimmy, I know very little, but it sure looks like fun.

Emily, it is at times, but it's worth it.

LMW, you were homeschooled? Did I know that?!?

Jim! That's the beauty of it - so much learning happens so naturally (as it should be, in my opinion) that it's a completely different paradigm/mindset from "school" where you must sit down and have knowledge imparted to you. There's a place for that at times, but I don't think that should be the main norm.

72fishes, I'm glad, too. And thanks for the kind words. You are doing fine - have you seen your kid? He's awesome! :)