Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Brilliantly Awkward

So, I've been inconsistent with my Idol posts. Truth is, I'm hardly by the computer these days. When the weather is nice, we're dropping everything and going to the park with friends. And, in general, we've been either out of town or hosting out-of-town guests.

Though we're super busy these days, we do try to keep up on Idol. This past week, we were several days behind! But we keep watching. Know why?

Because this season of Idol is, hands down, the best season they've had since Daughtry's season. I'd almost given up on this show many, many times. I'm so glad I tried yet again with this season. It's paying off in droves! I am loving this season!

The Idol Top 7 sang songs from "Now and Then" tonight.

The show started on a somber note as Ryan Seacrest paid tribute to his friend Dick Clark. Ryan looked genuinely sad and emotional. I'm reeling a bit myself. I grew up with Dick Clark and Casey Kasem. I loved listening to them.

Now

Hollie started us out by singing Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" and I cheered out loud to see her let loose a little bit. It was fantastic. I feel for the girl. Any other season, she'd be a front runner. She is a phenomenal singer. The only reason she struggles at all in this show is because she's surrounded by so many other great singers. Sure, she seems a bit stiff compared to some of the other more seasoned performers, but yay! She did a fantastic job tonight.

In other news, Edward Scissorhands apparently showed up on the set and cut up J-Lo's outfit.

Colton sang Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance." Edward Scissorhands got his blades on Colton's cape, too. Colton did a decent job, but he's really starting to bug me. He's acting a bit big for his breeches. Seeing his mop week to week is like watching hairstyle entropy. This week's splash of disorder? Red!

In related entropic news, Randy's brooches appear to be made by those children's kits of melting plastic beads.

Elise sang "No One" by Alicia Keys. Jimmy's Etch-a-Sketch comment was so much better than that Romney aide's. They don't know why she's not getting votes, so they let her use J-Lo's fan, Steven Tyler said she sang her tushy off, and Ryan mentioned her dying dog. That should all help.

Phillip Phillips sang "U Got it Bad" (That's the actual name. I think it's stupid, too. Hey, I didn't entitle it.) by Usher and if you think that sounds like it could be weird, you obviously didn't watch the show, because it was da' bomb! He was surrounded by a bass, sax, and conga drum, which was all very cool. The passion can be seen in his legs every time. DUDE. He got a standing ovation from the judges and it was very well deserved. He is my favorite contestant this season. I love this guy!

Jessica sang "Falling" by Alicia Keys, which would be Idol Suicide sung by just about anyone else, but you don't even have to get nervous for her. She's incredible. I liked the red umbrellas everywhere. She didn't deserve the bottom 3 this past week. She'll be safe for a while. That save from the judges will only bring her more attention.

Skylar sang "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga . . . the country version. Yeah, I didn't know there was one either. She was followed around stage by a crazy fiddler. It was a little boring for me, but that might be my personal preference talking.

Joshua sang Fantasia's "I Believe" and I was SO excited about that. It was not as good as the original, but it was still so so good. I think a minute and a half just doesn't give it the steady build it deserves. Plus, no one can touch that moment when Fantasia sang it at the finale. But yeah, Joshua is dope.


Then

The 2nd half of the show was the "then" portion and featured "Soul" songs. I had pretty high hopes for that since Motown weeks are generally pretty great on Idol. There were some hits and some "meh" performances for me.

Hollie sang "Song of a Preacher Man"and I didn't love the arrangement. It fell a little flat for me.

Colton sang "September" and I said, "No. No, no, no, no, no." It was a REALLY weird arrangement. I didn't like it and neither did the judges. They made it known. He needed to be knocked down a few pegs. He was getting a little full of himself. I hope he goes back to singing Coldplay-type songs, as those suit him best.

Elise performed "Let's Get It On" and it just wasn't believable. It would be un-P.C. of me to say that she's too white to give justice to that song, so I won't say that. Elise really has grown on me over the competition. I didn't like her at first. I like her more now. I'd like to see her continue a while longer. She really is talented. This song just did not suit her.

Phillip Phillips sang "Wait to the Midnight Hour" and it was HO-HOT. He did what Hollie and Colton and Elise didn't. He made it his own. He didn't change the song. He just Phillip Philliped it. And that's why we LOVED it. Sexy indeed. Steven said he was "brilliantly awkward." Love it! He won the night, there's no question.

Jessica sang "Try a Little Tenderness" and she did so while wearing a pair of my pants from the 1980s as well as a Native American ornament. It was the 3rd one of the evening, so I'm wondering who the heck paid the idols a visit this week. She showed a raw, guttural side that we do not usually see. I liked it. As Steven said, "Good God Almighty, bless my soul!"

Skylar sang "I Heard it Through the Grapevine." Hence the moving telephone poles and wires. Apparently. Some guy from Twilight followed her around while playing the fiddle again. They better get him home before light dawns. This girl will have no problem in the country western world. She is a natural performer and commands the stage. She is quintessential Southern. This girl is Chick-Fil-A.

Joshua did Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come." THIS is why he's closing the show. He's amazing. You could tell he was using restraint at the beginning of his performance and there was a gradual build to his passion letting loose. Wow. I wish his performances were longer than one and a half minutes long.

In summary, they're all great, but Phillip Phillips is the best.

Bottom 3 tonight for me: Colton, Elise, and Hollie
Going home: Hollie, if for no other reason than they placed her in the often-forgettable first place slot.

2 comments:

Dr. Mark said...

Edward Scissorhands? Entropy? Chick-Fil-A? Well, bless my soul. You had me busting a gut. Awesome review. I agree wholeheartedly with you. Phillip Phillips all the way!

terahreu said...

I am on the Phillip train as well. He is brilliantly awkward, which really is the best description of him. I agree about J-Lo's dress, but it was as thought Edward made a guest appearance on a Star Trek show. It was so bad, as most of her outfits are. Great recount. Loved it!