Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Newest Holiday Craze

You saw it here first. You've heard of fusion cuisine? Now experience fusion holidays.

For some reason we never carved jack-o-lanterns in October. The easiest explanation would be to call us terrible parents who don't care about our children's happiness at Halloween. Truth be told, we have been very busy for quite some time and we just didn't get to it.

Fast forward to mid-November. We found what must have been the last four pumpkins in the entire county. We needed two for our usual fall meal, dinner in a pumpkin and soup in a pumpkin. These meals are both fantastic, but they make A LOT of food and we can never eat all of it before getting tired of it, and we knew Stacy's mother was coming in November, so we decided to make them then, because surely people still need pie pumpkins to make homemade pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, right? And last year I found pie pumpkins in November, but I digress.

Stacy found four pumpkins for 99 cents each and picked them up. We made the two meals and enjoyed them immensely, but given how things got away from us again the other two pumpkins sat in grocery bags on our kitchen floor, waiting to be carved. Today I finally decided to carve the pumpkins with the kids, and my biggest worry was that I'd be able to carve them with my bare hands because they'd be so soft. Good fortune was my friend today and the pumpkins were in great shape to be carved. So I present here, A Very Merry Halloween ChristmasTM.

Thing 1 had very few qualms about cleaning out the slimy pumpkin guts.

Don't let Thing 2 fool you--he watched me clean his out.

Reason 241 to be nice to your Daddy: grunt labor.

Anakin Skywalker (note the scarred eye)--a Star Wars success!


Harry Potter--what else?!

These candles burned ALL DAY! We had to make up for October and November.

Trick-or-Treat! Ho! Ho! Ho! And all that jazz!

Happy Merry Halloween Christmas!

10 comments:

J Fo said...

That's hilarious! What good parents you are to follow through on the pumpkin stuff. I think I would have just waited for next year. I do have to say that the juxtoposition of the pumpkins and the Santa hats does have a nice feel to it! Weird, but nice! ;)

Unknown said...

the hats are the perfect touch! I love it!!

HWHL said...

VERY clever, my ever-resourceful friend!

Hope you guys are doing well!

Jillo said...

You know, they made a whole movie combining these two exact things. You should check it out as a cap to your holiday fusion!

Emily said...

i love it!

Boquinha said...

I seriously have the best husband on the planet--thank you, Mark for doing this AND for posting about it. You're a wonderful father. I love you!

Jill, is that "The Nightmare before Christmas"?

Boquinha said...

Hey Jessica, we do these for fun, but also, the kids really earn it, too, with a little thing we do -- we have a cute container full of little paper pumpkins and every time someone does something nice for us, we pull one out. When it's emptied, we carve pumpkins. It encourages doing nice things. :) At least that's the thought. :P

Jillo said...

IT is the Nightmare Before Christmas! It is one of my kids all time favorite shows, not so much for the movie, but for the musical score. That Danny Elfman rocks!

Boquinha said...

Jill, I oughta watch that again. I had a really miserable date once when I was at BYU and this is what he took me to see, so I didn't like it but I was probably associating it with the bad date. Checking it out of the library now . . . :P

bythelbs said...

Why not? Way to stick it to tradition. Love it.