Saturday, November 3, 2012

Trick or Treat!

We may have mentioned it before, but Halloween is a little different here. First of all, they have Trick-or-Treat Night. This is the night, often not October 31, where everyone goes trick-or-treating. There are many theories about why they do this, but no one has been able to tell me definitively what the real reason. All I know is that we have to watch for the signs telling us when to dress up the kids and go begging for chocolate.

This year Hurricane Sandy changed a few plans. Trick-or-Treat Night was postponed for the entire county, but instead of settling on one night for everyone, each township decided to do a different night. I kid you not, there was trick-or-treating on October 31 and November 1, and our township is doing it on November 7. We usually take the kids around the county to various friends' homes so they can show off their costumes, and also so we avoid getting peanut butter cups with razor blades and M&Ms laced with LSD. What can I say? The evening news has ruined Stacy and me! I wish we would have had Snopes back then!

Stacy decided, and I agreed, that we didn't want to dress up the kids like fourteen times to go out trick-or-treating, just so we could accumulate what can only be described as a dentist's nightmare, so she took matters into her own hands (is there anyone out there that is really surprised by this?). She sent out an email to our homeschool group and told them we were meeting at the park for a trunk-or-treat. Dress up. Bring candy. And then we would all go out to eat at a pizza buffet here in town. We had at least 25 kids at the park, braving the freezing temperatures and wind, and had a blast. We overtook the restaurant, gorged ourselves on pizza, and had a great day.

Thank you, Stacy!


Tic-Tac-Toe
(Thing 1 saw it in a magazine and had to do it. We love creative costumes!)
Gimli from Lord of the Rings
(Check out that handmade yarn beard and cardboard helmet!)

Our cute kids
(Can I put my jacket back on? That wind is cold!)

A great group of kids, wishing we'd take the picture so we could go eat!
Happy Hallo-Satur-Novem-Trunk-or-Pizza Day!

3 comments:

Boquinha said...

Awesome! Our kids are the cutest. I am head over heels in love with them. Thanks for doing this post. They look SUPER cute in their costumes. I could just eat them!

It was so cold, but I'm glad we did it, and I loved getting to the warm pizza place to eat food. :) I think there were about 40+ of us there when you add in adults, etc. Go us!

Emily said...

Hilarious! You guys are clever. I love the costumes!

Anonymous said...

Love the costumes. Seriously, someone needs to move Halloween up a few weeks so it's not so cold. (Although here in NM I've had nothing to complain about the last two Halloweens.)