Monday, February 11, 2008

Mothers-in-Law

I know that this is a controversial topic, but I'm simply posting to say that I have a pretty great mother-in-law. The older I get the more and more we find we have in common. I love to talk books with her. I love that I feel she looks out for me like her own daughter. I love that she's supportive of what we do. I love that she's fiesty underneath that calm. I love that she's raised such incredible sons--I'm so grateful to be married to such a wonderful man. I love that sometimes she calls just to talk to me. I enjoy talking with her, getting philosophical, sharing. I love that she's accepted me as more than a daughter-in-law by marriage, but as part of the family. I love that she's great with our kids. I love that she visits us. I love that she is thoughtful. I love that she really considers our taste when she thinks of us and sends us things. I love that she respects our choices. I love that she is open with us. I hope I'm not embarrassing her. Ever since talking with my Dad before he died, I especially feel even more strongly about sharing my feelings with others and telling them what I think of them. So, I mean no embarrassment. I'm simply saying I love my mother-in-law and I know that not every girl can say that, so I count myself as pretty blessed.

P.S. Gary, you're pretty great, too. Sometime, you'll get your very own post. I just didn't want you to feel left out!

4 comments:

Emily said...

i would have to agree! i see lots of her in dave and i love that.

Dr. Mark said...

Continuing with the "Leaving Dad in the P.S." theme . . .

I'm glad to see that my wife and mother get along so well. I've always tried to avoid adhering to stereotypes too much, but I'm sure most sons worry at some point that their wives won't get along with their mothers. I've always liked Mom and so I'm relieved (though not surprised) that my Little Miss does, too.

Vivian said...

Yes, Stacy it is a little embarassing, but thank you for your kind words. And if any of my other daughters-in-law read your post, I want them to know that I'm glad that all of my married sons have made good choices. I realize I'm hard to get to know, but if you'll just hang in there for (what, Stacy, about 10 years?)then you, too, will 'get me' and like me:)

and PS to Mark: I'm glad that you've always liked me, 'cause I've always liked you too!

Emily said...

i worry about not liking MY son's wives...it stresses me out. yeah, isaac's only 3 and noah's 1....but someday they might like a girl, and WHAT IF I DON'T LIKE HER? it's too stressful.