Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Economy Woes

Is the economy scaring anyone else? It's depressing to get going on your career and paying back loans right when the market tanks.

And you drive by the IRA place and they have a sign up that says, "The sooner you start saving, the more you have when you retire." So you take a deep breath and try to figure out where you could possibly cut back.

Because at the grocery store the other day, when you went to stock up on food items to have on hand, you started to cry (and get grumpy) when you saw the price of cheese. And then decided not to get any. Cheese! Are you kidding? It's one thing to not eat out or get extra toys, but cheese?? And yet I seriously refuse to pay some of those prices!

So you shop at the Amish grocery store which has really cheap groceries (you just have to check the expiration date) And hey, they have cheap yogurt cheese. And you're grateful you even have that option.

Since milk is $4/gallon as is gas.

And people are scared. And they're spending less. Which means you're making less. But you think it's a lull simply because it's a busy time of year and people are vacationing. That one guy in town says that June is his slowest month every year, so you hope that's it.

And you're trying to not freak out since you're in the middle of taking a leap and making your mortgage a 15-year deal instead of 30, you know, to save money.

And you sometimes feel like your stomach is tied up in knots when you crunch numbers ad nauseum. Because you've always been terrified of another depression (as in "The Great Depression" as well as that other one). And as parents, you really freak out, because the depression was a scary, awful, dark time. And you don't want that.

And, funny enough, you're not really scared, because you feel a sense of calm that everything is okay. You know it is. You feel guided and know it's all fine. The media spins stuff and even if they're right, yes, the economy IS scary right now. But it'll be okay.

And really, the reason you're even feeling down and blue at all is because when the world is a scary place, you think of how your parents are there for you. And that they'll never let you starve or do without. And that they'll always be there. And you'd never, ever, in a million years take advantage of that, but the knowledge is comforting. Like a warm blanket. And you know they love you and look out for you . . .

. . . and then you consider that your father isn't there any more. And you don't fully understand, more than a belief in what you've been told, where he is. And even though you didn't exactly talk to him daily or anything, you've always known he's there. And that he loves you. And that he wouldn't ever let you starve or do without. There's always been that quiet knowledge. Like a warm blanket. And you miss him terribly. And you feel a little angry as well as a lot sad.

So you learn that when the world is a scary place, you miss your Dad even more. Because you miss that warm blanket. And more than that you miss his voice, his presence, his strong hugs, his advice, his just because gifts, his kindness, his warmth.

And you feel blue for some reason today. You're fine for days and weeks and then you cry for some reason (cheese?).

I'm really missing my Dad. I think it's that I'm feeling kind of stressed and over the years, I've always had a quiet assurance that my Dad's there looking out for us, not letting us go hungry or anything crazy like that (and no, we're not going hungry--it's an expression). There's something about always knowing your Dad is there. So, I feel exposed somehow. And wanting, I guess. I don't know. Bleh. Sorry to be a downer.

8 comments:

terahreu said...

It is strange not being there and hearing about how America is struggling. I have to admit, oddly enough, I feel more secure right where I am. To hear of paying 150 bucks just to load your car with gas...scary.

I am sure America will pull through just fine. But after being in the ME for so long, I really feel like finding alternative gas is the only possible change. How can this happen? Why can't I figure it out so I can make the billion dollars some collage student is going to receive? We have to sever ties with the ME and when we do, WW 3 maybe?

I am sorry to hear about your dad. I know how much you loved him. I know you are stuggling as I know I would too. It is always comforting knowing that dad has your back. Either way, he is watcihng out for you. I am sure.

HWHL said...

First, let me give you a big HUG!!!
And a little kiss on the forehead (like Dad would have done...) :-)

I know what you mean about being scared.... and this recession does scare me too. I can't help but wonder if this might be another BIG recession (I'm afraid to actually type out the "D" word), but I know exactly what you're saying.

When you get scared, stop, take a deep breath, focus on God, and ask him to soothe your fears. Know that he's still "driving the bus", despite all the unknowns in our world. And, remember the age-old advice (that is so true, despite the cliche) "count your blessings". I'm sure, like me, your life is overflowing with Good Things. Focus on those, and not the bad/unknown.

Hang in there, girl!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about your dad. Big hugs to you. :-) I know this might sound lame, but when I get stressed out, I consider the fact that there are many, many people in the world who are much worse off than me. I try to focus on the good things in my life and I try to picture my life as I would like it to be. Not just picture it as a wish, but actually picture myself living my life as I would ideally like it to be. That, combined with the gratitude, can usually pull me out of my "stressed out" times. I'm with you, though, those sad, stressful periods still happen. I hope you feel better soon!

J Fo said...

We're all allowed to have bad days. Don't apologize for it. The other day we were all stressed with trying to get this house to close and having to change the type of loan...yuk. (Speaking of the economy - buying a house and tying ourselves into a mortgage is terrifying.) I have a natural tendency to get grumpy and angry rather than sad, but some times the sad spills over. We had some friends who brought us dinner and when they left I got teary about what good friends they were...and before you know it, I'm sobbing about the house stuff. It's amazing what happens as soon as you open the flood gates even one tiny bit!

Boquinha said...

Thanks, Everyone. It's very sweet of all of you to take the time to comment and say, well, anything. I know it's hard to know what to say but sometimes just knowing someone hears you is nice, you know? And all the nice reminders and advice? Awesome.

Jessica, how goes the house stuff? I wish you guys were closer--we'd have you over to dinner! The night before we closed on our house, I was in KNOTS all night, almost throwing up from the stress of it all. There had been a big mess/mix-up (as you know) and the seller had it in the contract that we'd pay his closing costs as well as our own(!) and so we shelled out another couple thousand that left us near broke, to be honest. It's still affecting us today. It's been tighter than comfortable since then, though we've been (and are) saving and paying down debt (thankfully). What happened with the switch in loans? (We've been through similar stuff--so stressful!).

Anyway, thanks, everyone. I'm feeling better this evening. It's been a nice day of enjoying family, friendship, and good summer fun. :) The blog comments also help. A lot. :)

Jillo said...

I just wanted to say I really love this post. I have actually been thinking a lot about it and you these past couple of days. I thought it was a really nice tribute to your dad. I can tell you really loved him and miss him.

As far as the economy goes, I have found when I am focusing on the bad, it will totally eat me up. I try instead to think of how to make things better in my own little family. I am teaching my kids to like simpler foods. I am learning to garden and in the fall I would like to learn to can veggies. I am thinking of buying a bike with a big old Mr. Rogers basket on the front for little grocery store runs. I have even thought about getting chickens and a cow. (Unfortunatly there are zoning laws against owing a bovine where I live.)
Anyway, mega long post aside, I think it will all be o-kay. We will figure things out and make them work. That's what being human is all about. A silly source of hope for me was reading "The Boxcar Children." Those kids loved the simple things a whole lot and I thought if they could love them, so could we.

Emily said...

Alternative fuel sounds good....but so does drilling in Alaska and offshores. We've gotta start relying more on ourselves, I think. (i mean we as a country need to rely on the US...we've got plenty of resources if we would just use them)

Dr. Mark said...

The best approach will probably end up being some sort of a hybrid between domestic drilling and the development of renewable energy. Let's face it--fossil fuels won't last forever so eventually we need a better plan than "use what we've got then find other fuel later."