Monday, July 28, 2008

Various and Sundry

I haven't picture posted in a while, so here's a bunch of stuff, both various and sundry. (Has anyone else seen the very awesome Word Girl episode of Lady Redundant Woman?)

1. Mark's Google job got unexpectedly cut short by 5 months. Apparently this has happened to other people as well. It really stinks. He has been working so hard putting in 30 hours of work a week into that on top of everything else we're doing (I'm married to Superman) to help us save up and also pay down debt. So this really sucks financially. But we're grateful to have had it. And we're grateful that business continues to pick up. The Google gig has been a perfect safety net of income for us while we grow our business this first year (Can you believe we're coming up on our 1st anniversary of our business?!). Yet (dare I admit it?), it's a bit of relief to not have the gig in some ways because we are that busy! And I firmly believe that Superman has to have down time, too, so this helps. He is hardworking and very good at having fun, too. So, it's nice to have fun without the guilt of the work we could be doing (at least on that gig . . . there are always things we can be doing.).

2. We bought sweet corn at a local farm stand today. We're so excited for dinner. Our corn is also coming in and we can pick it soon! YUM!

3. Flowers are blooming. Mom, check out the Azores flowers! Our garden is thriving (well, except something is going on with the pumpkins--I could cry. We use a lot of pumpkins! We decorate with them, cook in them (both dinner and soup in a pumpkin), ugh. Everything is looking beautiful and I feel like summer is flying by WAY fast. *Sniff* My official favorite plant in our garden is the grape tomato plant. We're getting at least 100 tomatoes from it and they all ripen at various times, so it's fantastic--every day we go out and pick daily tomatoes for our salads.

Click to enlarge (and look closely--we have a compost pile!)

4. Since we're doing mini stay-cations this summer (rather than a big trip someplace--we are so doing the beach in September for a few days) to help save money, one of our mini summer treats is homemade ice cream! We got ourselves an ice cream maker on clearance and, OHMYGOSH, it is so delicious! I had no idea what was involved, though. I thought it was like a bread machine (put in ingredients and it'll do everything). Not so! But so worth it. YUM!

Here we are making our ice cream!



5. We all got sick earlier this summer. Our very cool friends came over to sing us a "Get Well Song" they'd written for us. Now who can boast that?

Here are the very cool lyrics.

And here we are being serenaded--very awesome song. We love it!




6. Thing 2 has a very cool friend. He loves to play with him and they both love Legos and Star Wars and can play for hours without a single squabble. Until it's time for his very cool friend to leave. That's when he and his friend put their plans into action and hide and connive and try to trick us! Once his very cool friend starts getting dragged out by his mother, there are generally award-winning performances with lines like, "Save me! Please save me! I don't want to go!" and "I love you!!" and "We've crossed the Rubicon! There's no going back!" (I'm not kidding). LOVE how these two play! (And totally love the mom, which makes it that much better--she. is. awesome.)



7. We had a very nice, if rainy, 4th of July. Check out our beautiful dining room table--so nice to have the space to accommodate so many when you move your outdoor BBQ indoors! (This house has an insane number of doors, I know). Fireworks in the backyard. Great friends and good food. A nice, relaxing day. :)



(Edited to add this picture--not sure how it didn't get in the collage!):



8. Fun summer activities like attending the open-air children's theater to see "The Emperor's New Clothes" one time and "Rumpelstiltskin" another . . .

How good looking is my husband! And how cute are our kids!

and the new Pixar film . . .




Hanging out at a local radio station, seeing the studio, getting free stuff. And eating breakfast at the Cracker Barrel and playing checkers there, too! (I have pictures of this but am not posting them since it identifies the station) . . .



Waking up, reading, and falling back asleep on your books . . .




Studying the fire of London and reenacting it with your own mini-project (we pretty much school year round) . . .



Working on the cool, local reading program that gives you free tickets to HersheyPark . . .

She's getting so grown up! Such a beautiful girl.

Best friends and total goofballs.

Also getting so grown up. Such a cutie!



Enjoying a lovely outdoor picnic that, in one rainstorm, went from this . . .



to this . . .



I was feeling stressed and upset since we'd just bought that canopy for our business (we participate in the local street fairs) and we'd only used it once and it TOTALLY got busted in that storm (it was nuts!). We called the store the next day to ask about replacing it and found out it had been recalled and they were refunding our money! WooHOO!

9. Bug Catching!



Cicadas! We even get to attend a local cicada festival and enjoy a night of the symphony and a night of celebrating the Beatles (the musical group, not a misspelling of the bugs).



I don't have pictures of it on this post but we also catch lots of fireflies!

10. Water (and shaving cream?) fun!



Thing 2 also enjoyed some sprinkler and Lego fun with another friend during that hot, hot day!

11. These pictures don't begin to illustrate our VERY FUN weekly day-long playdates at the park with our most awesome, awesome, awesome homeschool group. A dozen families or so get together and play, play, play ALL DAY LONG. It's glorious.




12. Enjoying the County Fair!



13. More super cool backyard bugs!




14. Summer Library Reading Programs - Book Bingo . . . where you come home with 6 brand new books each plus 2 prizes each.




15. Plain, old, wonderful hanging out at home . . .

shucking corn "because we're farmers"


and working on research for your blogs!

19 comments:

terahreu said...

Sounds like a great summer to me! The corn is what I am sooooo jealous of. They eat the 'cows corn' here. I have grown to like it but there is nothing like eastern sweet corn.

Kate is getting soooo grown up! Wow. It was yesterday when she was learning to walk.

Also, what do you guys do for Google?

Dr. Mark said...

What a post! If I get to be a superhero can I be Batman instead? ;) (See #97 on my list.)Honestly, though, I'm hardly super. Basically cut back on sleep and keep on going even when your body says stop and you, too can accomplish way too much and feel way too tired. We have had a lot of fun this summer, mostly due to your encouragement. Thanks!

Great collages and pictures! Can I take credit for the caterpillar pictures? Every once in a while I get a good one.

HWHL said...

You guys are a SuperCouple! Seriously!! Ever think about going on Oprah or something?
(At the VERY least, you need matching capes with SC, for Super Couple, on them.... ok?) :-)

Hey, can I be nosey and ask what this side "google job" is all about? My little business has been struggling this Summer and I'm looking for other income streams that I can work from home (while continuing to "man the ship" of my business). Anyway, drop me a line if you would. My email address is HappiWifeHappiLife at gmail dot com. (spelled it all out to avoid the spammers out there...)

Thanks and congrats again on how far you guys have come in such a short time! That says a LOT not only about the strength of your marriage, but about the strength of your SHARED goals, which is awesome! :-)

Emily said...

ohhhh no, what's going on with the google thing? are they doing that to lots of people? what will i do if they do that to me?! we have to have that income...oh NO OH NO OH NO.

Dr. Mark said...

Emily, I emailed two different people for an explanation over a week ago and haven't heard anything. I'll let you know if and when I hear something.

Boquinha said...

Well, I've called Emily. I'll email Terah and HWHL! :)

Honey, you can totally be Batman. ;) You can be whoever you want to be. Who do I get to be? :P (And the caterpillar pictures really are awesome).

ROTFL at SC capes! :D Yes, I'm happy to email you! :)

Jillo said...

One thing I really love about your blog is it helps me realize that we do way more great stuff than I realize. It's the simple things that make up the big things and I think you do a great job remembering that. Thanks for the inspiration!

PS Word Girl is one of my favortie TV shows. It cracks me up. =)

J Fo said...

I bought Greg a T-shirt a while ago from bustedtees.com that says "The Department of Redundancy Department." I think I need to set my dvr for that show!

I found myself feeling a little sad the other day because of how much I've enjoyed this summer, and that it's almost over. Is that wierd? Sad because it's been so good?

I love the pics of your sweet kiddos!

Gary Foley said...

I am really getting excited for our visit next month. What a beautiful grandaughter I have. And...that grandson of mine is very handsome...looks a lot like his father.

Lena said...

Great pictures! Yes, K is looking like such a beautiful young lady and that little man is going to drive the ladies nuts one day ;) What a fun summer you have had- and so busy too! I wonder how I find fun local places to visit around here. Time to do some digging.

Unknown said...

Um, wow! I want to redo my childhood with you two as my parents! I missed out on a lot of that cool stuff. Amazing. So many little moments that have made your summer completely perfect and beautiful and unique from any other you will have again.

Unknown said...

And your children, husband, and yourself...you're all so beautiful inside and out!!

Dr. Mark said...

Dad, we're looking forward to your visit as well. I think our beautiful children benefited from putting their mother and father together.

D'arcy, thank you for your kind words.

Em said...

I love all the pictures. Your kids are really growing up. I need to talk to you about this homeschool thing sometime since we are starting our adventure in homeschool this year.

Boquinha said...

I just noticed that this post doesn't show the DR table nor the doors to which I've referred so I've added a picture in the post for reference. :)

Jill, I love simple things so your comment makes me feel all special and warm and fuzzy all over. Thank you!!

Jessica, YES! DVR it!! You will NOT be disappointed. You will LOVE it. (Love the t-shirt, too). And I'm totally freaking out about how FAST summer is flying by!! Winter felt so long that you'd LONG for summer and how is it already coming up on August?! I hear you.

Gary, we are SO SO SO excited for your visit! We miss you.

Thanks, Lena! And yes, go for it! We learn of these things by being super involved in our very socially and politically active and environmentally-and-politically-minded homeschool group (serious, we have an AMAZING group--I think it's because we're "inclusive" instead of being "only such-and-such a religion or curriculum" and I know you and I are on the same page with that!!) and also by getting involved in our community. Growing up I think I was a bit myopic in my circles and approach and mostly associated with only people of my religion or whatever, but I've changed a lot and I'm very much enjoying branching out!! :P So we volunteer with our library and the county concert association and we frequent the local ice cream shop and cute college coffeehouse (great live music and YUMMY food!) and somehow we learn about all this cool stuff!! Libraries have SO many great flyers advertising such neat (and often FREE) things around here. I wish you lived closer!!

D'Arcy, what a dear you are!! Thank you for your sweet and thoughtful comments. Your comments make me feel great!

Sweetie, awwwww. Thank you. :)

Emily, oh my goodness, you are?! Wow! How exciting! I didn't know you were interested at all in home schooling! It's such a wonderful adventure--I cannot say enough good about it. We absolutely LOVE it and have so much fun. We've spent the day today with several families in our group playing on a farm, chasing chickens, eating good food, enjoying one another, having water fights, and learning to sew!! We're all mentors for one another and we're always learning and having fun! We're working on a post about homeschooling, too. Eventually. :P Yes, let's talk!!

Robynne said...

Fun stuff Stacy!! It's neat to see pictures of all of it!!! :)

Boquinha said...

Thanks, Robynne!

Chelle said...

I haven't had a single ear of corn this year...that's the best.

I love that Kate does research for her blog. I've got to teach Brita how to use the computer better!

Boquinha said...

Rachelle, we have loads of corn. Come on over if you have a strong hankering.