Tuesday, July 29, 2008

R.I.P. Russ Gibson

I just found out that Russ Gibson died. Mark told me when he saw it online on a sports news alert. He died Sunday and I hadn't heard. "What?!" I said. I was on the phone with my Mom so I told her and she replied, "Oh yeah, Sunday. Sorry!" She hadn't told me so this was the first I'd heard. "Awwwww" is what I said when I read it myself.

Russ Gibson is a heckuva nice guy and I think anyone who knows him would say so. And even though he was a celebrity Boston Red Sox player, to me, he was a super nice and thoughtful guy who lived in my hometown. I didn't ever think to get his autograph because it was more of an interesting fact to me that he was a Red Sox player (and later a SF Giants player) than it was the main thing in my mind. It's super cool to know an actual Red Sox player who is your friend, don't get me wrong. But Russ stands out more in my mind as a heckuva nice guy than a celebrity. That's how he acted. That's simply the kind of guy he's always been.

One of my fondest memories of Russ Gibson is of getting envelopes in the mail from him when I was in high school--he would read the local paper, cut out articles about me (whether it was because of getting a good GPA or participating in some school organization or honor, he would cut it out), and mail it to me with a little note saying that he's proud of me. How neat is that?! I think many of the newspaper articles that I have in my childhood high school scrapbook are from Russ in the mail to me.

The other fond memory that comes to mind is simply how he'd make you feel like such a special and important person. He had a friendly and easy manner and made you feel like you were his buddy and he was always so happy to see you.

I know I used to thank him but I really do hope that Russ knows how special he'd make me feel to take the time to send me those packages and to smile when he'd see me. Mostly, I'm grateful for his friendship and kindness to my Dad and I'm hopeful that they can get together now and then and play some cards and maybe even get in some tennis.

Thanks a lot, Russ. You really are a heckuva nice guy. Rest in peace, friend.

2 comments:

Emily said...

aw, sad.

Unknown said...

letting people go is hard. remembering all they meant to you is easy.