Tuesday, December 11, 2007

When kids say what we say . . .

So, after reading this post on my friend Nicole's blog, I'm reminded of a dinner time story from a week or so ago.

We're sitting at dinner. M decides to be funny and fool around under the table, making K laugh. (He excels at this). Through her laughter, she sweetly looks at him and asks, "What in the hell are you doing under the table?"

I sit there not sure I've heard correctly.

"What did you say?"

She smiles proudly and sweetly (and rather innocently) and replies, "What in the hell are you doing under the table."

Mark and I look at each other somewhat stunned, not sure where this is coming from. Not that we don't say "hell" now and then but we don't say it that much and we generally don't use that particular phrase at all.

"Honey, where have you heard that phrase?"

She excitedly replies, "Harry Potter! Ron says it all the time!"

Sigh. This is what happens when you read books.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROTFL! I'm rolling. :D I can just see K saying that, all innocently... LOL!

Emily said...

hilarious! i did that once at dinner but it was the A word.

Boquinha said...

Did you read it in a book?

nicole said...

Too funny-that definitely makes me feel a little bit better. You should read my friend Mendy's blog about her son asking her about the words lust and and thrust. Quite funny.

Robynne said...

That's GREAT! And yeah, Ron says it all the time!!! :D