Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Grandpa Hinckley

Thanks to my sister-in-law, Lindsay, for sending this link! It is a link to President Hinckley’s grandson’s blog where they have a lovely video slideshow of “Grandpa Hinckley.” (Please read this entire post before viewing it.)

Remembering Grandpa Hinckley

I started several times to post a comment on this blog, but I couldn’t bring myself to comment as I felt a bit like an intruder on their family grief. We love him as our prophet, but he is even more to them—a father, grandfather, great grandfather. I’m passing this along to share the beauty and humanity that is Gordon B. Hinckley, but I hope that everyone will respect their space and family more than their own desire to be heard. May we pass this along and share in this with one another without intrusion on their sorrow as well as their joy.

One of the most poignant pictures on that video montage for me is the one of him crying at his dear wife’s funeral. It brought me to tears. I’m so happy for them that they are together. It was even more touching to watch that video with a couple of days of reading this comment from this post on Feminist Mormon Housewives:

#18. One of the sweetest experiences of my life was listening to Pres. Hinckley speak at the General Relief Society Meeting in October 2003. Earlier that year I had lost my mother and father in the space of four months and was struggling with my own grief and sense of overwhelming loss.

Toward the end of Pres. Hinckley’s remarks he said the following about his dear wife Marjorie:

For 66 years we have walked together, hand in hand, with love and encouragement, with appreciation and respect. It cannot be very long before one of us will step through the veil. I hope the other will follow soon. I just would not know how to get along without her, even on the other side, and I would hope that she would not know how to get along without me.

I realized what a blessing it was for my parents to be together, even though I miss their earthly companionship. They truly did need each other just as much on the other side as they did here on earth.

Although I am sad to see him go, I am so happy for President Hinckley!

*******

May he rest in peace with his sweet Marjorie (isn’t she adorable?!). Godspeed, President Hinckley. You are an amazing prophet and leader and are so loved. Please give my Daddy a big hug, okay?

1 comment:

Emily said...

pretty cool. it's interesting to see him in a family setting--love the red sweater!--and how fun to have him read the christmas story while the kids act out the nativity scene? i've never pictured him in that way, he's just the prophet...how interesing to watch.