Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Loads of Interesting Things

Okay, it's getting ridiculous. I have a million tabs open on my browsers all reminding me to do something or read something or share something. I've been keeping several of them open in order to blog about them. So here goes. Thanks for indulging me.

1. CDC warns of choking game -- at least 82 deaths are attributed to a game played by kids! It's important to be aware and talk about it.

2. Whole grains help deflate belly rolls -- They also reduce inflammation in blood vessels.

3. Great take on homeschooling -- leans toward unschooling and is an interesting perspective

4. Fabulous Recipe Blog -- all organic and vegetarian and full of great pictures and recipes to make your mouth water

5. My year of non-consumerism -- The tale of a woman and her family in Australia who spent an entire year not buying anything new (with a few exceptions) and what they learned from it

6. Babies Heal Mothers -- Now how beautiful is that?

7. An Incredibly Brave Post about how Motherhood isn't natural for everyone. Whether or not you agree doesn't change the fact that the author is amazingly courageous.

8. Foods and Body Parts - A very interesting presentation that "contends that every whole food has a pattern that resembles a body organ or physiological function and that this pattern acts as a signal or sign as to the benefit the food provides the eater." Great visuals, easy to read.

9. Rather Interesting NPR story about an extremely religious man who lost his faith in God because he can't come up with a good Biblical answer to why we suffer (this would be SUCH an interesting one to discuss!).

10. A More Positive Spin on Julie Beck's infamous "Mothers Who Know" talk.

All interesting things, but here's the one I'm most excited to share and discuss:

Non-Junky Birthday Gift Ideas - This one is definitely worth bookmarking!! This is a great discussion of great birthday gift ideas that aren't junky and ARE meaningful. Wonderful ideas on this thread!! I'm not a big fan of magazine subscriptions (even good ones), but there are several wonderful gift ideas on there including savings bonds, story CDs, service gifts, friendship stones, and memberships! I love ideas like these!! So, which ones do you like? Are there any you like that aren't listed? And as for those listed, has anyone here tried any and liked them (like Scripture Scouts and Bill Harley stories and Jim Weiss stories)? I've looked them up and they all look fabulous, especially Jim Weiss!!

8 comments:

Emily said...

i've got to say that that feminist mormon housewives post is one of the saddest things i've ever read. motherhood drove her away from the church? how awful. i seriously doubt she "no longer believes in the doctrine". she had a trial of her faith and failed. i'm not trying to sound harsh, but that's what i felt as i read. motherhood does suck sometimes. if i had had a glimpse into what it was like i would definitely have waited to have children 'til i was older and more prepared (if you can ever be prepared for motherhood!). but i didn't and i do and i deal. it's not easy for anyone. i feel so bad for her and her family. but you're right, she was definitely brave to post that!

the babies healing mothers is so sweet, neatest thing i've read in a long time!

love the sister beck opinion piece, i DIED when people started criticizing that beautiful, amazing talk.

as for the man who lost his faith, that makes me sad too. we suffer so that we can know joy. we learned that in the garden of eden at the very beginning of the bible. couldn't be more clear. we also suffer so that we can grow in faith and learn to lean on Christ. sad for that guy.

neat links!

Emily said...

let me clarify...she was brave to post that and open herself up to criticism from judgmental people like me! yikes. i just reread that comment and it made me cringe. ugh.

Boquinha said...

I know what you mean, Em. That's what I love about that site--you've got *all types* who post (her, the girl who wrote the Julie Beck piece, etc.) and then you have *all kinds* who comment and for the most part it's kept to a philosophical discussion and most try to appreciate the perspectives of others. What's really interesting is that most of the comments were from LOTS of women who really resonated with what she said. It's like she opened the floodgates.

I think of it this way--all aspects of motherhood don't come naturally for everyone and there is a serious danger in putting up some ideal for everyone and it's *really* dangerous for us as women to compare ourselves to one another (or we always feel like lame moms, etc.).

My parents are wonderful people and great parents but are converts to the church so I didn't grow up with your stereotypical stay-at-home Mom role model, so me doing the SAHM thing is sooooooooooo winging it! And at times I find myself wondering if I'm "doing it right" but that's just silly. What's "right?" (which came up in the dicussion on that post).

I can't imagine what it must have been like for her being raised in not the greatest environment, having an idea for herself, joining the church *right* before getting married and having kids and then being a mom in the Mormon culture. Talk about culture shock!

Anyway, when I dealt with horrid depression that had me house bound for months, there were people ready with "the right answers" -- "You just need to pray," "It's your testimony," "It's Satan" (I wish I were kidding), "You're not faithful enough," "Snap out of it and just trust God." You get the idea. All implications that somehow I was at fault, sinning, or doing something wrong spiritually. What an added burden! So, ever since then, I'm very cautious with what I think of say about others because (as I constantly remind myself), "I don't know their story." Everyone has more going on than we see at the surface level. This author's opening herself in such an almost unbelievable way and being so incredibly vulnerable really wow me.

I really wish we could all utter our deepest, most intimate thoughts without fear of judgment from others. How amazing would that be?

Anyway, hot button topic for me, but yeah, I know what you're saying. You're totally cute--I love your second comment. :P :)

Boquinha said...

BTW, I love that birthday one--did you like that one? I remember you mentioning your kids don't really play with toys anyway (which I think is cool, but I know what you mean about wishing they'd play with them once in a while!). I love the membership ideas. Do you guys do memberships to Thanksgiving Point and stuff like that?

Emily said...

yeah that birthday one was neat. when we lived in draper we had a membership to thanksgiving point and i went every single week at least once, if not more. in the summer we went to the gardens and in the winter we did the dinosaur museum, which had lots of interactive things. i really miss thanksgiving point! now that we're in davis county i think i would like to get a membership to the discovery gateway, an AMAZING kids museum (but it's like $7.50 even for NOAH), but isaac loves it there so it would be worth it. what a fun gift idea, i had never thought of that.

my dad gives all of us kids a subscription to readers' digest every year. i LOVE it. i never thought of getting a kid a magazine subscription, although my nephew loves sports illustrated kids so something like that would definitely be a hit with him, why not other kids? i bet the national geographic one would be awesome.

i just read one comment about a gift card to a book store. that's my new favorite idea. i'm totally doing that.

Boquinha said...

Yeah, books are something you don't ever mind having a lot of! I love that idea, too.

Gary Foley said...

Ok...time for True Confessions. I had read the Choking Game article. I did play the choking game in the summer between high school and college. Stupid, stupid and stupid. I'm glad I survived my stupidity. I was a camp counselor and some of the older boys in the cabin I was over showed me the game. It was quite an experience but definitely one that I do not recommend to anyone else. Heck, back in 1968 it didn't even have a name.

Boquinha said...

Wow. Interesting confession!! I didn't realize it'd been around so long. Scary stuff. Glad you're okay.
Say, your other comment didn't post, but feel free to try again! ;) :P