Monday, April 14, 2008

Bunnies and Chickens and Grapevines, Oh My!

On our visit to MA, we also visited my Uncle Baltasar's (my Dad's brother) house and he let us feed his chickens and hold his LITTLE baby bunnies! Omigosh, SO FUN! We're so excited to get our own bunnies and chickens here!!

He got us started on our own grapevine, too, by giving us 3 different kinds of grapevines to plant! And they're from the same grapes that my Dad has always raised, so that's pretty special! Our good friend Lisa has given us a wonderful suggestion to put a plaque in our garden with my Dad's name on it and have it be a memorial garden. Wonderful idea.

Here are the kids enjoying feeding the chickens:





M got kind of nervous about being scratched by the baby bunnies, so we kept practicing and working on how to hold them. This SO SO SO brought me back to my childhood, growing up on a small farm. Holding these bunnies was second nature to me. Totally.





Look at that sweet bunny almost falling asleep in my arms!


Yep, there's my Obama pin from Christy!

Yay! He's got it!!

They've both got it!! K loves the bunnies and is so sweet and gentle with them and M totally has it and really likes it and is so excited to have bunnies and chickens!

Ta-da!

Look at those tiny bunnies--these pictures don't do them justice. They're 2 weeks old and it's their first time out of the cage. They love eating the grass.



We also visited my cousin Missy (her mom is Alda, my Dad's sister). Missy is a couple of years older than I am. It's been years since I've seen her and it was so good to visit her. Growing up, I've always loved to visit her. She has a very rare disorder--Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. She isn't able to speak though she does do some sign and makes some sounds (her one word she can say is "Mama"). She lives in a group home with 3 other girls. She's really delightful to visit and sweet and funny. I'm glad for the kids to get to know her.




4 comments:

Emily said...

neat! me and dave's first apartment was a basement in provo and our landlady, an older lady who lived upstairs, grew grapes on her fence lining the driveway. i LOVED driving home and getting out of the car and smelling those grapes. heavenly. i like the plaque idea too.

J Fo said...

Oh my goodness...I want a bunny! How cute are your kids holding them? They have such an expression of joy. I love it! At one of the schools that I teach the girls have 2 bunnies and they're pretty sweet, but I don't get much of a chance to hold them. I guess that's why I have an adorable baby to cuddle with!

Mrs.Rat said...

I love baby bunnies...Ronnie and I had a baby bunny when we were first married...they are so adorable.
I think it is very cool to be able to have grapevines from the same grapes that your Dad has raised...something to always cherish. Lisa's suggestion of the plaque is a wonderful way to identify the hand your father had with these grapevines...
What a hands-on~ home learning experience~ "Bunnies and Chickens and Grapevines, Oh My!"

galen said...

what a fun time!
I so wish we could have chickens.