Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Just for Jessica (and anyone else who likes to read)

Oh my goodness, I just saw your comment on our book club blog!! Great minds! :) I *love* Gothic Novels. LOVE them. There's something so captivating and magical about them. There is a feeling associated with them that is so powerful and distinct and particular to that genre. My favorite novel is Rebecca (obviously) and I also love Jane Eyre. I've recently discovered The Shadow of the Wind and The Thirteenth Tale (both fabulous books!).

One night for book club (reading one of the aforementioned books, I don't recall which one), we discussed all the elements of a Gothic Novel--the stormy weather, the ubiquitous mansion/mysterious house, unrequited love, some element of the supernatural, some prophecy or omen, women in distress, etc.

Mark, knowing my love of Gothic novels, got me an *awesome* Christmas gift a couple of years ago--my own Gothic novel reading pack. He got this cool big, black bag (think Mary Poppins) full of Gothic novels and bookmarks. And on top of that, he did all kinds of research on the genre and put together a binder FULL of information on the history and elements of Gothic literature. Totally. Fascinating. I know. I have like the best husband in the whole world.

So, what are your favorites and what is it about this WONDERFUL genre??

3 comments:

Emily said...

i'm not sure i've heard about/ever read a gothic novel.

J Fo said...

Stacy, you're KILLING me! I'm teaching Jane Eyre, (which is in my top 3 for books), to my 12th graders, and I just bought Rebecca for both of the schools I teach at! Here's the thing with Gothic novels: I never really knew how much I liked them. I knew that Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights were two of my favorite novels, but I didn't really connect the Gothic link. I just thought that I had a thing for the sisters Bronte! I've been all mixed up in my brain as I've been teaching both of these books at the same time. Not that they are all that similar in plot, but I keep mixing up all of the names of the minor characters. My girls think it's hilarious. I read Rebecca (thanks again for giving it to me) and really liked it, but I've found so much joy in revisiting these books after a few years. I haven't read any others, (that I can remember of the top of my head), and I would love suggestions. How thoughtful and cool is Mark's Gothic bag gift. Wow.

Emily - read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte! I LOVE it! I actually just bought the Masterpiece Theater version of it.

Boquinha said...

Oh wow! You must be LOVING teaching!! I'm so happy for you--your passion for literature surely shines through and inspires your students. They're lucky to have you.

I highly recommend Shadow of the Wind and The Thirteenth Tale--but beware, they're very difficult to put down!!

I know--I love my Gothic Bag. Mark's awesome. :)