Monday, April 14, 2008

We're back!

We've had a fun trip to MA this past weekend to celebrate K's birthday, visit everyone, and bring my Mom back for a while (she's enjoying playing with the kids, doing school with the kids, generally being entertained by the kids, etc. and she's cooking us yummy food, too!).

It was difficult to walk in the door at my parents' house. It's the first time we've gone up there and had my Mom excitedly awaiting us, but not my Dad. I miss him terribly. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him and it's been a few months and I still shed tears when I really let myself think about it more and feel more deeply. Their house seems so empty without him there. I walked in and almost started to cry, so I quickly commented on things my Mom has done (new carpet, flooring, etc.) to distract myself from the tears. It worked (for a while anyway) as did having some friends visit with us.

So our friends, the Ratcliffes, went up to Newport, RI to celebrate their anniversary and decided to stay an extra night at my Mom's house with us and visit some MA sites and enjoy some Portuguese food and culture. They loved it so much that we've all got some family beach/historical trip ideas brewing as well and we're already working on getting very discounted tickets to some great stuff! And hey, we've got a great place to enjoy fun company and amazing food, too! Here are some pictures of the trip:

I like this picture of me and Terrie.

Lovebirds celebrating their 25th anniversary

Sleeping at Vavo's house!

The birthday girl opens some fun presents! This one is from her best friend and brother. They are so cute!

Breakfast in bed!

We also stopped in at hospice to see the leaf they've placed on their tree in my Dad's name. They've received so many donations in his name that he gets a leaf. It was more emotional than I thought it would be to see his name there. It made me sad that instead of seeing and holding and hugging my Dad, smelling him, hearing him, that in a sense he'd been reduced to a leaf memorial on a wall. I felt the tears come and again held them back. Why? I'm not sure. I don't think it's wrong to cry. In fact, it's natural and I don't generally hide it from people when I do (all part of the whole "being real" thing). But I've been trying to keep things cheery being that it's K's birthday and all. We've tried the same with M's birthday. Yet at the same time, the kids know that we're sad and it's okay.

Well, I was doing fine and then noticed that K was crying. Full on tears. I stooped down and held her. She said, "I wanted him to be here to celebrate my 8th birthday." My tears started right up and we held each other and cried.




We celebrated K's birthday at Uncle Joe's house with a Magic Tree House party completely designed by the kids themselves! Vavo got some paper products and food and Uncle Joe made us an AMAZING spread of food and a beautiful display of it at that. The whole extended family showed up to celebrate and Uncle Joe had everyone toast the birthday girl, too. It was very nice. Here are the kids making decorations and party favor bags in Vavo's sunroom. They love their cousins!



Here are some of the fun decorations!




Here they are working on the activities and coloring pages they've organized and made!


And check out this BEAUTIFUL display--my uncle is an excellent, if a bit eccentric, host!



Tita Alda got the kids their own disposable cameras to use to take pictures--here's M posing some family members for a group picture--hilarious!

My Mom and Uncle Joe check out the spread.

The birthday girl looking SO very grown up, especially compared to the picture of her on the table!

Cousins!

The food was amazing--antipasto, Squid and potatoes (unbelievably delicious Portuguese dish--omigosh, we couldn't get enough of it!), Mustajao (Molho de Feijao)--one of K's favorite Portuguese soups, and my Uncle Joe's deliciously spicy and saucy lasagna (loaded with Italian sausage)--so good! And of course Portuguese bread and Pink Lemonade (K loves lemonade). YUM!


K and M got cute fish tanks that plug in and light up and are very relaxing and super cool night lights! M has been on a huge fish tank kick and is SO "ensited" (excited) about this cool gift!




Uncle Joe made this amazingly delicious (tastes like cake AND a candy bar) 3-layer chocolate cake with whipped frosting FROM SCRATCH!



Here are the kids enjoying painting gemstones with Tracy and the twins!

Look at that lobster presentation! K loves seafood!

6 comments:

Gary Foley said...

Loved seeing the pictures of Kate's special weekend. I really like the new hairdoo for Kate. Very pretty...very stylish. Looking all grown-up.

Papa

Emily said...

i was going to say the same thing--love her hair. happy birthday kate! you look so grown up. looks like a great trip, i'm so glad you could be there with your family! and your uncle sounds amazing, does he share his cake recipe?!

Vivian said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of Kate's birthday. That cake looked awesome. And, yes, I used the past tense 'looked' because I notice in a later picture, it was devoured. And speaking of devour, that lobster didn't stand a chance either.
Cute haircut Kate.
See you soon.

Robynne said...

What a fun party! I hope you had a happy birthday Kate! (Her hair is adorable, btw...) I'm glad you had a good trip!

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday to Kate! Her haircut is cute!! I love the cake & that blue platter--cool! Glad you guys had fun.

Boquinha said...

Emily, funny you should ask . . . my uncle kept ranting, "Never again!" about making that cake. He said it took him HOURS! It was sooooo good--tasted like a chocolate bar in a cake. Amazing. So rich and whipped.