Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Generation X

You know you're in your 30s when . . .

1. You talk politics, financial investments, and business on a date with your spouse.
2. You get really annoyed by grammatical errors in the news.
3. You volunteer for your library.
4. You serve on a community board.
5. You help work a voter registration table for fun on a Saturday afternoon.
6. You start checking age boxes that lump you with 60-year-olds (34-60! Seriously, who writes those?!).
7. You have gray roots.
8. You talk books and politics with your friends with mad delight and passion.
9. Eating junk food, especially fast food, (except for maybe once a month) doesn't appeal quite like it used to.
10. You sponsor a community blood drive at your home business.
11. You start to say things like, "When I was a kid, we didn't . . . "
12. You can see how you look so much younger in pictures from 10 years ago.
13. Your idea of a nice, relaxing evening consists of eating a bowl of cereal and watching a Friends rerun.
14. You debate politics with your loveable brother-in-law on your blog and enjoy it thoroughly.
15. The stock market volatility scares you (though maybe not quite as much as those who tick the 60 and up age box).

I'm seriously noticing this stuff and how it ages me. I don't mind it, but it is kind of interesting/funny. Anyone got any more? (Terah, I'm counting on you!!)

9 comments:

Jillo said...

How bout' when you run into someone you haven't seen since highschool and they look really old.

Or when you are secretly thrilled because the movie you were going to go see is sold out and that means you get to go home and take a bath instead.

And speaking of movies, when you finally do make it on a Friday night, you feel incredibly out of fashion because you have not kept up on the latest fashion trends and you are surrounded by 20-somethings who are cute and stylish and know it. Plus you have to force yourself to stay awake, even if it is a great movie because you got up at the crack of dawn to get your day going and this is the first time you have sat down all day. =)

I'm with you, I don't mind myself getting old at all. I just don't want everyone else to get old. Why can't we all just be 35 forever?

Emily said...

i know i'm old when i go to drop isaac off at preschool (he goes to preschool at our local high school) and the high school kids look like 12 year olds, and look you like you're a grandma.

terahreu said...

Here's a few:

1. You explain who Michael Jackson is to your kids and they can't understand why a man--who looks like a woman--could ever be cool.

2. You find out that a Nepalese person, who looks like a grandma, is only 4 years older than you! Yikes!

3. Going to bed early is a special treat.

4. The countdown is on for RETIREMENT? hun?

5. You have no idea what your teenage neices or nephews are talking about on facebook.

6. You have no desire to watch MTV because you have no clue who those people are.

7. You have left the house with no make up, nasty clothing, and unkept hair but you made sure your kids looks oh so cute.

8. Your thrilled when you find a good recipe.

9. You depend more on accessories to doll yourself up instead of your plain cuteness to hold its own.

10. You watch and old horror movie that you saw when you were a kid (which frightened the crap out of you then) and, because of the cheesy old effects, you end up laughing all the way through.

Jillo said...

terahreu~ number 7 made me crack up. That is so true!

Chelle said...

...when you're talking to your husband about listening to Englebert Humperdink on the portable 8-track player when you were a kid and your kids ask, "What's an 8-track player?" and your husband who is three years younger than you asks, "Who's Englebert Humperdink?" Then you start singing Charlie Rich "'Cause when she gets behind closed doors and when she lets her hair hang down..." just for fun.

Boquinha said...

These are GREAT! Well done, ladies!!

I'm singing along with you, Rachelle! ;)

HWHL said...

Ohmygosh - Terahreu - #7 is hilarious and is exactly MY LIFE! My kids always look great but I could care LESS what I look like most of the time - hilarious!

Unknown said...

I don't know what you are talking about, I get confused for one of the students all the time at work!!!


True story....


Still, just having entered my 30s, I am much more into talking about politics than about dating....however, i have come to realize that both are a little more disappointing the older you get...

Boquinha said...

D'Arce, I get that, too. Did I ever tell you the story of when I turned 21 and my friend REALLY wanted me to try to buy alcohol just to see if I'd get carded? I couldn't do it (good girl that I've always been). So, I just asked him.

Excuse me. If I were to try to buy alcohol, would you card me?

He answered me right away.

Little girl, if you tried to buy chocolate, I'd card you.

Nice.