Thursday, September 4, 2008

On Blood Pressure

About 4 months ago my doctor (yes, the doctor has a doctor) told me my blood pressure was a little high. Nothing terrible, but high. I'm fairly certain I just need to get some of these extra pounds off of my midsection and life will get better. So, knowing the drill, I let my doc know I'd be losing some weight and we'd check in 3 months later. I went back 3 months later and about 10 pounds lighter and my pressure was a bit better, but not "normal" yet. I told him again I'd take 3 months, lose a little more weight, and check back in. (Side note: family visits with the requisite eating out and disrupted routine did nothing to assist fat burning, but miraculously I maintained my weight over those 2 weeks.) So, I'm feeling pretty good about myself and thinking things have got to be getting better. I did discover something that is not helping my blood pressure at all.

Oh, and last night I was trying to relax but made this mistake.

As much as I've enjoyed the buzz surrounding this year's election season, I'm so glad my appointment is after November 4. (Nothing against your birthday, Mom, but I think you understand.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your high BP. No laughing matter. I am glad to know that the doc has a doc and that you are taking it seriously.

On a lighter note, yes, my age is a multiple of 4 this year. Every 4 years, no matter how the presidential election goes, I can say "At least they didn't name me Electa."

Boquinha said...

And, for the record, Vivian posted that comment soon after we originally posted so the date is incorrect. Tweaking, tweaking . . .

Dave said...

A few years ago I had high blood pressure for several Dr. visits so he put me on a diuretic for 6 months. My BP went down and has stayed down. It probably also helped that soon after I finished grad school, and didn't have TB.

Dr. Mark said...

What is it with grad school and stress? Isn't finally studying what we want to study supposed to help?

Dave, glad to hear you don't have TB. And that your BP is better.