Saturday, September 20, 2008

Thing 1's Baptism

We really had a beautiful program for K's baptism and enjoyed having so many family and friends with us. Kate waited for our building to be completed (it was being added on to) so that so many of her homeschool friends could attend without having to travel too far. She's such a thoughtful and sweet little girl. I'd say we had about half and half -- friends from church and friends from our homeschool group. We're so grateful to everyone who came and even those would couldn't for their loving support and kindness.

Here are some pictures from that day--we had beautiful weather, too:

Shavon, Kate, Shannel
(These 3 are GOOD friends and we have a lot of cute pictures of the 3 of them. I'm so glad for these friendships)



With Grandma and Papa

With Vavo
(It seems so odd/wrong/out of place that my Dad's not there)

With Jim





The program was great. M (Thing 2) read a poem about loving his big sister and he looked at her adoringly through the whole reading. SO sweet. Mark and I gave talks. It was emotional. The baptism went well and she looked so cute in the dress that her great aunt (Tita Artemisia) made for her. The confirmation was also nice. When those she had asked got in the circle (Mark, Papa, Jim, Brother Mecham, and Brother Willoughby), Jim left a space to symbolize my Dad being there. Kate also played her violin--she played the piece she played at my Dad's funeral after expressing her feelings for her Vavo. She got choked up and so did everyone else. The whole thing was very, very nice. We've had a lot of good talks about it--"Know yourself, know your relationship with God, and follow your heart." You can't go wrong with that.

While she changed, we showed this video--it's gorgeous. I highly recommend viewing it. Mark and I cried watching it when we found it. Mark did a great job transferring it to DVD. It's called What Heaven Sees in You/Three White Dresses.




Afterward, we had a REALLY nice all-afternoon get together with our friends out in our backyard--it was so fun and so enjoyable for all. The food was delicious and the company even better--we can't say enough how grateful we are for good friends and family. Thanks, all.

If you hover over the slide show, little buttons will appear in the lower right hand corner and you can scroll through the pictures at your own speed. Darn it, it cuts out a bit of the right side of the pictures--we can adjust that in a bit . . .


13 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful and important day in Thing 1's life! I am so happy to hear that everything was all you could have hoped for. I hope I can say this right, but I feel your father was right there for every moment, my friend.

Thank you for sharing this day with all of us!

J Fo said...

What a great day! I'm so wishing that we could have been there, too. That video was beautiful! I totally got teared up watching it. There's just something special about girls!

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Awwwww... this post makes me so happy. I really enjoyed the pictures. Congratulations K!!! I'm so happy for you!

terahreu said...

Lovely! What a special day for Kate. I am still in shock that she is old enough to be baptized.

Loved the pictures!

Emily said...

Congratulations, Kate! I wish we could have been there with you. You look so pretty and happy (and I LOVE your necklace).

Lindsay said...

That is so neat your mom, Gary and Vivian all got to be there. Your kids are adorable. What a fun day. I havent' watched the video yet...need to wait until work is over. :)

bythelbs said...

Sounds like a great day. And she looks so sweet in her adorable dress.

Em said...

What a wonderful day! The video is very touching. I truly believe that not only is our Father in Heaven close during these sacred moments, but also those who are dear to us. Congratulations K you made a wonderful choice and took an important step.

Boquinha said...

D'Arcy, you are so kind. Thank you.

Jessica, there really is. I think of you guys often when I think of that. I feel like we share that in common having girls first.

Thanks, April!

Terah, you and me both.

Emily, wish you could've been here, too. The necklace is a gift from Gary and Vivian--it's so pretty! How in the world did you notice it in the pictures? You really have an eye for detail!

Thanks, Lindsay. Enjoy the video at home--it really is beautiful.

Thanks, bythelbs. She really is a sweetheart.

Thanks, Em. That's very kind and I appreciate it. I know you understand.

HWHL said...

That was beautiful - thank you so much for sharing that on your blog! I know you were bursting with pride! I loved the video on How Heaven Sees Us. It's so important for us, as believers, to remember that we are each so very precious in God's eyes. We are 'knitted together in our mother's wombs' by Him, just like it says in Isaiah! :-)

God bless you and your family!

Chelle said...

What a beautiful day! I love that Jim left a place for your dad in the circle. I imagine that his absence at special events is hard for you.

Your kids seem so tender hearted and sweet. I can't believe I don't know them.

Congratulations to Kate and to mom and dad for raising a sweetheart.

Jillo said...

What a special day for Miss K! We are so proud of you over here in good old SLC. It looks like a wonderful day for everyone.

Boquinha said...

Thanks, HWHL, Rachelle, and Jill. They really are great kids--we're very blessed.