Monday, September 8, 2008

Overheard one morning this past week

I walk to the kids' room and stand at the door to watch them play--they're on the floor each holding a stuffed animal. They are smiling and laughing and having fun together. As I walk away, I hear:

"But I want to talk to Bear about Star Wars."

"But the Ball is going to start!"

(I'll let you guess who's talking in which line). ;)

************

Also, I have a couple of sweet things to share about our great kids.

The other day at our local amusement park (local reading program--post to follow), Thing 1 got on a ride by herself (I would've gone on but I was take it or leave it and she wanted to do it herself and that's fine) and Mark was already dizzy just looking at it (he doesn't like spinning rides) and Thing 2 had no interest (not a big fan of some of those rides). So, as we're watching and cheering Thing 1 on, we notice the lady seated behind Thing 1 with her baby who was less amused by the minute. Thing 1 tried to console the baby by talking to him over her shoulder. Thing 2, by my side, said, "Oh no. That baby is crying. I wish I could do something to help feel him better." (I love how he says "feel him better" so it's one of those things I simply do not correct--it's too cute to correct). :)

A couple of weeks ago, we did dates with the kids. Mark took Thing 2 to see the new animated Clone Wars (Thing 2 could barely contain his excitement, practically busting out of his seat he could hardly sit still! I know because Mark called me to tell me HOW excited Thing 2 was about this--he LOVES Star Wars). I took Thing 1 to our really cute local coffee shop/sandwich shop/ice cream shop and we got soup and sandwich for lunch and had a lovely time. So, as I'm paying for the sandwiches, I notice Thing 1 quietly and sneakily put a quarter in one of those little yellow cardboard boxes people set up near registers asking for money to help causes. (Mind you, she'd found that quarter on the ground days before that and had been carrying it around excited to have found it). She caught me looking at her and looked coy and a bit guilty. I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was using her quarter. I asked, "Do you know what that is and are you sure that's how you wanted to use your quarter?" She said, "Yes, I read it and that's what I want to do with my quarter. I really do." I hugged her and told her that she's very sweet.

I am often in awe of how great they really are--they teach me so much. Thing 2 immediately thinks of how he wishes he could console that baby. I, feeling badly for the baby, was (I sheepishly admit) wondering what the mother was thinking taking the baby on a ride that "spinny." Thing 1 finds a quarter and gives it to charity. How often do I look right past those little cardboard boxes or not even notice them? We have great kids and we're super blessed to be their parents.

5 comments:

Jillo said...

What a nice post. This was a good one for me to read after a day like today. I love it when my kids will do or say a little something extra and remind me how amazing they are. (and what a blessing.)
Thanks for the lift!

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

This is so neat. I'm in love with your kids today :) They sound so cute.

I love the top few sentances about the ball and star wars. I can totally relate. I have a boy and girl and I love how they can play together yet still be themselves. Too fun.

Emily said...

that is nice! good kids.

Vivian said...

Very loving children. They have been raised with a lot of love and they naturally share it with others. Nice parenting.

Boquinha said...

Awwwww, thank you. That's so nice to hear! :)