Friday, April 17, 2009

Our Resident Comedian

Today

Thing 2 walks by looking adorable and I exclaim, "How did I get the cutest little boy in the whole world?!"

To which he responds, nonplussed, as he walked outside to play, "You growed him in your tummy."


Easter Sunday

So we do an Easter Egg hunt in the backyard, come back to the kitchen table, and count our loot. The kids get to choose 2 chocolates to eat before dinner.

Thing 1: Thank you, Mommy and Daddy!

Mommy: You’re welcome.

We look at Thing 2 expectantly who obliviously continues to count his loot.

Mommy, looking at Thing 2: You’re welcome, Thing 1 (well, I used her name, but you get the idea)!

Thing 2 looks at Mommy like she’s crazy.

Mommy, looking at Thing 2, repeats: Thank you for saying thank you, Thing 1. You’re very welcome, by the way. It’s so nice of you to say thank you, Thing 1!

Thing 2 looks at Mommy and wrinkles his nose and sneers slightly while furrowing his brow.

Mommy, still looking at Thing 2 trying to help him get the message, again says: You’re welcome, Thing 1!

Thing 2 gives his "what are you talking about" look again and exclaims, “I’m not Thing 1. SHE is!” and points at Thing 1.

Mommy: I know. I’m just saying it’s so nice of her to say Thank You. What do you think?

Thing 2: Oh! (Rummages through his loot.) I think I’ll have . . . a Krackel and . . . a Special Dark.

Daddy, jumping in to help: I think that Mommy is trying to get you to say thank you.

Thing 2: Oh. Thank you.


Later that night . . .

Thing 2 has this habit of asking, now and then, for more food before bed, mostly as a means to prolong bedtime. When we say no (on principle of hey, it’s bedtime—sometimes we do a bedtime snack when we’ve had an early dinner and are up late or something, but sometimes he’s simply trying to get away with staying up later), he can get highly dramatic (I thought this was a girl thing?).

He tried this tactic on Easter Sunday. Some of the things he called out from the stairs include:

I’m starving!
I’m so hungry, I’m starving!
My tummy hurts because it’s hungry!!
I think I need food! I can’t sleep without food!
I’m not going to bed, because I’m hungry!

(Meanwhile, Mark and I are in the living room, trying to watch Amazing Race and trying very hard to hold our ground.)

A little later, he bursts into the living room all indignant and points at his face and yells, “See!! A tear! That’s how hungry I am!

We’re not giving in, Thing 2. Go upstairs and go to bed. Next meal is breakfast.

He stomps up the stairs screaming and crying.

More from stairway:

Screaming, crying,. . .

But I’m STARVING!!

I’m NOT going to sleep!
My tummy hurts!
I'm so hungry!!
That’s it! I’m going to go to the kitchen and make myself a snack.

(At this point, Mark looks at me and says, He better not. I don’t know what I’ll do if he tries that.)

I have tears!! I’m SO HUNGRY!!!!!!!!

Then he started to really turn on the melodrama:

I’m going to starve to death!

After a while (clearly we weren’t relenting), he calls out:

Daddy? One more thing. If you want to kill your son, FINE!

And then for emphasis:

In case you didn’t hear me . . . One more thing. If you want to kill your son, FINE!

Eventually he settled down and went to sleep. I couldn't resist sarcastically greeting him the next morning with, "Oh, I see you survived the night."

Never a dull moment.

11 comments:

Emily said...

I love the "you survived the night" comment. hilarious.

lisa said...

It is funny how dramatic they can be!

Mrs.Rat said...

Oh....Is there really life after this...... :) I mean like a life without this.... Oh when can that day be :) But for today...we count our blessings and pray that we can make it to that day without them getting a hold of the control...

J Fo said...

Haha! What a character. I love how he repeated his threat to Mark just to make sure he got it! Hilarious! Way to stand your ground!

bythelbs said...

Hahaha. I have one of those.

Lindsay said...

That is awesome! I love hearing kid stories and things they come up with!

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

What a cute little guy!

Vivian said...

So his little dramas even come with special effects: a tear. Nice touch. Too bad it didn't work. Score one for the parents.

Shawn said...

Hmmm. Maybe that drama class for the homeschool group wasn't such a good idea!! Funny stories.

Jillo said...

I totally remember trying stuff like this when I was a kid. I had it down to a perfect science, or at least I thought so. It sounds like Thing 1 is a total pro.
When my kids pull the dramatic exit with a equally dramatic parting comment it cracks me up! I will confess, there have been times when I give in just because I feel it was a victory won through creativity.

Gary Foley said...

Way to hold your ground! He is a character with a capital C. I was laughing so hard about the Kill you son comment that I think a tear came to my eye as well.