Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'd forgotten what quiet sounded like

I work one day a week in our clinic--Thursdays. Today, my schedule was light. As I finished up and came out of my appointment around 11:15 this morning, I looked around and called out to Mark and the kids. No answer. Then I noticed a note on the Dining Room Table. I was greeted with this:



I wondered what I'd make myself for lunch and when I got to the kitchen, I found this:



So, I smiled at the thoughtfulness and did a little dance of joy. What would I do with some down time?!?

I did a quick check of my ever-growing email inbox. And then I changed into comfy clothes, put on some socks on this chilly, fall, blustery day, made myself some warm tea, and grabbed one of my favorite books. I sat down to my delicious sushi lunch. My chair was warmed by the sun. I ate while I read Emerson's essay on Spiritual Laws. Beautiful.

And that's when I noticed it. The quiet. Our house is over 150 years old and so solidly built that it does not creak. I could hear the wind, the ticking of our clock and the murmur of traffic outside on Main Street. And I could hear the sounds of my own page turning, my chopsticks touching my plate, me sipping my tea. Ahhhhhhhh.

Mark knew just what I needed. It's just what the doctor ordered. And in this time, not a single phone has rung, no computer alerts have sounded, no one has come to the door. It's so quiet. And I feel rested and refreshed.

And ready for Mark and the kids to get back. :)

12 comments:

J Fo said...

How thoughtful! I think we all need a few moments like that every now and then to recharge our batteries. Emerson can always help with that!

Jillo said...

I absolutely LOVE moments like this. Not that I don't adore my children, but small quiet moments that let you recharge are the best thing sometimes. What a thoughtful honey you have to set out lunch for you. Very sweet.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Wow! I'm so impressed with Mark!!!

Emily said...

sounds so nice. but i'd change the book to a novel, the sushi to chinese food, and the drink to hot chocolate! mark sure seems nice!

Jillo said...

Hey, what would be a good way to get in touch with you to chat about homeschooling? I have some questions.

Shawn said...

Dr. Mark:
I bet you were a curve killer in college. Seriously, though, well done. An example to us all.

Unknown said...

I love the goodness and respect that you and Mark share.

I like to refer to my moments like that as "noble silence"...we all need it.

Mrs.Rat said...

Exquisite~~....
What a moment to savor and to look back and treasure.

The Rat Life said...

Exquisite~~....
What a moment to savor and to look back and treasure.

Swawa said...

That's so nice. It's nice to just put your feet up when you've been busy so long.

bythelbs said...

How great is your husband?

Glad you enjoyed your time!

Boquinha said...

Thanks, all! Yes, he is VERY thoughtful. I'm very, very grateful and happy.

Emily, I'd like those same things on occassion, too. This was what sounded/felt good that day. I love novels and Chinese take out and hot cooca!

Jill, ohmygoodness, I'd love to talk with you about it! I've got about 10 billion posts in my head about it that I've not been getting to with everything we're doing, but it's something I do love to share, so I'd be happy to answer any questions. My email address is basically my name on here at gmail.com and we can chat through gmail, too. Same name. Hope that helps! We can exchange numbers via email, too, if you'd like.