Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Physics Class

This post is a shout out to my dear and wonderful husband who makes sure he has time in his schedule at least a couple of times a month to attend many of our homeschool group activities. Not only that, but he's teaching a Physics class to about 26 kids of various ages (ranging from 5 to 17) and he does SUCH a good job! People often say they picture Mark as the professorial type. We both love to teach and we love what we do. This is so fun!

He writes the curriculum, emails everyone the lesson to do as families at home, does a quick review with the kids when we meet, arranges cool labs to do, and helps the kids (with parents' help) at various Physics "stations" where they get to do experiments together, discuss and learn more.

Here are some pictures from our first class--The Scientific Method and Measurements:




After that class, a few of us went out to lunch together and then attended a local art exhibit at the local university--all about church steeples and fall in PA. Kind of an odd exhibit, but fun just the same.


After that, we had our first Religious Studies group--once a month, we study a different religion and attend their services. It's a wonderful way to study world religions and foster an appreciation and respect for various belief systems. I'm so excited that we're doing this. The first month we studied Mormonism at our house and then that next Sunday, several people in our group attended our ward with us. It was the first time for all of them. This month, we've met together to study Quakerism and make a peace flag (that was a fun craft). This month we're attending our friend's Quaker meeting. Next month, we're attending a Buddhist Monastery. I'm SO EXCITED! I haven't ever done that before. I've only ever read about them. It'll be fascinating. This past weekend, there was a community lecture about Tibet that some of our group attended. I really love learning.

8 comments:

HWHL said...

Dr. Mark - you're awesome!

And I also think it's really cool that you're studying other religions as well. Knowledge leads to understanding and RESPECT. Would that our world had more of BOTH.... and perhaps we'd have fewer wars.... (maybe this next generation can finally figure that out!) :-)

Stacy and Mark - you guys are both fabulous parents! Way to go!

Lena said...

I think it's wonderful to see dad's so involved in the homeschool process! I know I couldn't have done Chemistry without my dad as my teacher.

Emily said...

neat.

Dr. Mark said...

Thanks everyone! It is a lot of fun to do the classes, even if I'm exhausted by the end!

J Fo said...

Wow. How do you get the lessons to work for that wide of an age group?

Dr. Mark said...

Preparing for a diverse group of ages seems like a throwback to the one-room schoolhouse model. I send out material for the parents to review with the kids before class. Then we spend a few minutes at the beginning discussing concepts together, and then we break into groups by ages for the experiments. We have a great group of involved parents and they all chip in with the groups. That way I get to float around and check in on everyone. It worked really well the first week so I'm hoping for continued good things in weeks to come.

Jillo said...

Have you ever considered taking your class on the road? I hear Utah is awfully nice this time of year. I'm just saying......

Dr. Mark said...

I suppose the Physics class could be held in various locations, for the right price! ;)