Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Surprises from Vavo

My mom really wanted to get something special for the kids "just because" and have them receive packages in the mail (who doesn't like to get fun packages?). Well, there are a couple of things the kids have been talking about, so we told her and she sent them each a very nice, educational, and fun surprise.

She was very much hoping that the packages would get here the same day. They didn't, but they arrived within a couple of days of each other. Thing 2 got his surprise first--a baritone ukulele (the way to begin learning to play the guitar)!:



What's so cool is that M got so excited and almost immediately called (after calling Vavo first to say thank you) his good buddy Ronald, a homeschooling friend of ours (which is why he was home) who lives up the street. I think Ronald got here in RECORD time, riding his skateboard down (we share both Main Street and the back alley) and carrying his guitar. He told M he wanted to get together and jam. And jam they did. Ronald is already teaching M some good chords and songs!



Thing 1 got her package next. A children's sewing machine! Though Vavo is an expert seamstress, I am not nor have I ever been. There are a couple of women in our homeschool group who love to sew and teach any kids who want to learn. One day, we all met up at our friends' farm and played and sewed beanbags together. This cute little sewing machine runs manually and on battery power. Thankfully, other friends of ours from our homeschool group were over that day (the rainy park day) and the mom was happy to show K how to use it!



Thank you, Vavo!!

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sweet...I am the first to comment. Both of those "just because" gifts are AWESOME! I wish I could sew and play the guitar. your kids will just have to teach me!

Lena said...

What wonderful gifts Vavo!!

J Fo said...

There is nothing better than a "just because" gift. So thoughtful! I can't wait to hear some of M's concerts and to see K's handiwork.

Chelle said...

What a great Vavo. I love it when anyone chooses to make a child feel special--kids need to feel that from people other than their parents. What a great thing for their relationship.

That is just the cutest sewing machine ever. Brita is dying to learn, but unfortunately my skills are limited.

Jillo said...

I love those! Especially the sewing machine. I took sewing classes at that age and LOVED it. My friend and I made twinner outfits which we wore to the amusement park. Very sweet.

Swawa said...

Such cool gifts. I love Zelia.

Emily said...

WOW, what a cool grandma! I have both a guitar and sewing machine and don't know how to use either one. you guys should make a trip to utah so your kids can teach me a thing or two.

Boquinha said...

I know--I love "just because" gifts, too. And grandmothers/Vavos are so cool! I didn't know one of mine and the other died when I was 6, so I'm grateful that our kids can enjoy 2 grandmothers AND one great-grandmother even! (Though I guess it goes without saying that I'm sad about my Dad). :(

Rachelle--I don't know how to sew either. Thankfully we have family and friends who do. I think I was intimidated by my seamstress mother.

Jill, that's so cool.

Sierra, she's coming for Thanksgiving!

And all,

I know--I'm feeling more inclined to pick up my guitar and get strumming, too!