Friday, October 24, 2008

Movie and Ice Cream Party

We've recently given out a couple of birthday gifts that were more about doing something than giving "stuff." I tire of "stuff." Some stuff is good, but too much clutters the house and mind. Plus the economy stinks. So, we got creative.

We gave one friend a fairy princess jigsaw book with an invite for her and her sisters to come to a movie party at our house to see the new Barbie movie that came out on her birthday.

(And by the way, can I just say, not being a Barbie fan that their movies are PHENOMENAL?? I was so skeptical but they are really, REALLY good. And I haven't yet met a single person who disagrees--girls AND boys love these movies, they're well-done, classy, have great stories, great morals, great music, they're so good! Swan Lake, Rapunzel, Fairytopia, The Princess and the Pauper, and more! We highly recommend them. They're wonderful!).

We gave the other girl (someone we don't know quite as well) a night out for ice cream. I checked with the parents about these first and they loved the idea. So, we decided to combine the girls and the gifts into one big movie and ice cream party and it was great!

K really got excited to welcome her friends--she's very thoughtful and loves to give notes and pictures and stories to people. So she made each one an invite and taped it to the TV!

What's a movie without popcorn?

The girls watching the movie

M likes to hang out with teenage girls, have I mentioned that? (Sorry, Sierra, your eyes are closed--I'm sure you love that, eh?). Sierra is a sweetheart and lives down the street (remember the homeschool family we met at the Gardens?) and is never "too old" or "too teenager" to join in the fun and we love her!

Make your own ice cream sundaes (lots of toppings!)!

Girlfriends

Little brother runs in with a light saber for this picture!
(I know--it's dark and the red eyes can be fixed, too. Someday I'll teach myself all those things).

Good friends

6 comments:

Swawa said...

That was so much fun, even though it was a Barbie movie. And that was some awesome ice cream afterwards, mmmm strawberry cheesecake. :P

Jillo said...

What a fabulous idea! I love that and I think I may put it to use.
and speaking of stuff.... have you ever read/seen "The Story of Stuff"? You can google it and watch a 20 minute video all about the stuff we use. Very educational.

J Fo said...

What a great thing to give activities rather than gifts. What a fun time!

Emily said...

very clever, I love that idea. I would also have liked to attend that party. yum.

I agree with the barbie movies. Isaac loves 'em and so do I. But I loved barbies as a kid, so I was destined for it.

Unknown said...

Girlfriends, movies, popcorn!!!! The Best!!

Boquinha said...

Jill, that's hilarious! I've had a note posted to myself for WEEKS now to post that on our blog! I'm doing it soon!! Go figure--you and I are so alike in so many ways!

Emily, I think it's awesome that Isaac watches them. Some people get weird about their boys watching this stuff. I think that's dumb.